• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thoughts on this 2000 XJ Frame?

Bowhunter8

NAXJA Forum User
Been looking at buying a wrangler or XJ and found a 2000 with just under 200k miles and is still owned by the original owner. New motor, not rebuilt, about 15k miles ago.

I know what I’m looking for when looking at frames on wranglers for rust but I’m not sure exactly what I should be looking for on the unibody/frame. What are all of your thoughts on the condition of the frame on this XJ? Pics from the owner, haven’t seen it in person yet

IMG_0545.jpeg
IMG_0549.jpeg
IMG_0552.jpeg

6f307f04f76182c39fc42924a9efe111.jpg

d2183fa6ebef73c3d4b60770e62e6c1a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a lot cleaner than the back east rigs, I've got 2 2000's that you can eat off the bottom (Az rigs).

That's a lot cleaner than the back east rigs, I've got 2 2000's that you can eat off the bottom (Az rigs).

I’m located in the west (Utah) and have been looking at ones online in the south west but haven’t seen any that peaked my interest due either vehicle neglect, too high of price, or too high of miles (300k). This one is located locally but this state does use salt on the roads

Another question: with a new 4.0 being placed in the Jeep a few years ago, do you think its safe to assume the head on the new motor was updated to a Tupy head vs the original head in 2000 that tend to crack?

Another question: with a new 4.0 being placed in the Jeep a few years ago, do you think its safe to assume the head on the new motor was updated to a Tupy head vs the original head in 2000 that tend to crack?

I would expect the worst on that one but you can tell easy enough.
You can see the letters TUPY through the oil filler hole.

The only way to know would be to look and there are other good heads besides Tupy so that doesn't leave you much.

The only way to know would be to look and there are other good heads besides Tupy so that doesn't leave you much.

So if it doesn’t say Tupy underneath the oil fill cap, no real way of telling which head was placed in the new motor?

In the first photo, it looks like the passenger floor has rusted through, in front of the crossmember and to the right of the exhaust pipe.
You should do a deeper examination of the frame to see what else is rotted.

In the first photo, it looks like the passenger floor has rusted through, in front of the crossmember and to the right of the exhaust pipe.
You should do a deeper examination of the frame to see what else is rotted.

Good catch! I saw that too but had no idea what it was because I’ve never looked under an XJ.

Might put this one on the back burner, 50 mile drive each way may not be worth confirming the floor to be rusted through

Thanks to all for the info, seller was slow to communicate to texts or calls and sold it. The hunt for a XJ or TJ continues

Back