• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine noise lifter noise or.....help

cz94xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone hope everyone one had a good Christmas

It's been a long time since I posted on here
All was good until today. The jeep started making a noise I have never heard before I looked around and can't really find out what it could be. So here's the best I can describe it, I will also post a video or to on on here so you can hear it
in the morning when I go to turn it on it on it sounded terrible it shook hard for a slit sec and made loud noise sounded from the engine. Didn't think much about until I got home and parked it and revved up the engine and it sounded horrible. From then on starting the jeep it had a very rough idle and felt like it wanted to turn off so I'm lost at this point. Now everyrome when I'm park and Gove a bit of gas I get a nasty knock not sure if it's a rod or what please would appreciate your input on this

Here's a quick video

1994 jeep Cherokee xj engine noise: http://youtu.be/AGHyON5_2bQ

It is kind of hard for me to tell from the video. I would think a rod knock or piston knock would be louder though. I would try pulling the belt and running it briefly without the belt. That way you can isolate the noise to the engine and you will know whether or not it is a belt driven accessory.

The sound is definitely not coming from the belt or anywhere near the front. It's in the back towards the back of valve cover. Other then that I have no idea what the sound is. I'm just trying to get an idea of what I'm dealing with before I take her in again for the 3rd time in 6 months

It is real hard to tell on the vid but it dont really sound like a rod knock. take a very long screwdriver and hold it on the block and put your ear to it. Should be able to hear it better and find out where the noise is coming from.

Any specific part on the block and what should I be hearing for ? And it also only does that noise when I rev up in park. I'll try and make a better better video later today if I have time.

You can also use an extra piece of air hose or the like to pin point.

try and get your sound video away from fan noise, fan is drowning out other sound.

I would try pulling the belt and running it briefly without the belt. That way you can isolate the noise.

This is the best way to only hear the motor and not the fan and what not. Just run for a minute and do a video again so people will only hear the motor running.

HTH

I think I can slightly hear a small rod knock deep in the audio of the video, but I can definitely hear a lifter under the light clicking of the injectors. I don't want to tell you that you have a rod knock yet, because you have such a chattery engine that I can hardly tell. To tell, you need to get closer to the engine in the places where you would expect the noise to be.

You need to record audio at the bottom end of your engine. Get under there and put the microphone near the oil pan, noise from here can be a flex plate or rod bearing. You should also use a stethoscope against the passenger side of the engine and listen for a "dieseling" noise, as those would indicate lifters.

Last edited:
Back