• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird burnt smell

paulhead

I overtighten $#!t
NAXJA Member
Weird burnt smell/torque converter issue?

Driving it for a while on the freeway, getting a smell. Doing about 75mph, 3k rpm, I noticed the rpm's moving 2-300 rpm but no change in speed just rpm's. like the TC is engaging and disengaging. Weird burnt smell,not oil, or tranny fluid. Like burnt motor, kinda clutchy but not really. Does burnt tranny fuid smell different than clean tranny fluid? Little brown, needs a change.

Last edited:
Badly burnt trans fluid stinks nauseatingly bad. Is the torque converter locking up? While cruising on the highway at a steady speed, lightly press the brake pedal with your left foot. You should see the rpm jump a bit as it unlocks. Could be a bad switch at the brake pedal telling the trans computer to unlock the t/c.

Badly burnt trans fluid stinks nauseatingly bad. Is the torque converter locking up? While cruising on the highway at a steady speed, lightly press the brake pedal with your left foot. You should see the rpm jump a bit as it unlocks. Could be a bad switch at the brake pedal telling the trans computer to unlock the t/c.

I did that test and it failed. Could the switch be bad and still activate the brake lights? Also the cruise control isn't working and I understand that brake switch controls both. Couldn't find any bad fuses but couldn't find a cruise control fuse. BTW, 92 4.0

The one I got looks like this but it's the only one I see
68174.jpg

Pulled the brake switch, took it apart, made sure contacts were good and even stretched the little spring thats in there a tad, torque converter working now, passing brake test. Cruise control still not working, look into that later. Gonna change valve cover gasket because of leak that may be adding to smell and gonna do a full tranny fluid service I know it needs. RPMs aren't jumping around like before so I think the switch did the trick.

Back