• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 sealed axle bearing ?

PAUL B

NAXJA Forum User
My rear axle seal just started leaking after regearing. I know it's a simple fix. But i was told that someone makes a sealed bearing. Is that true? If so who makes it. I have to pull the bearings anyway might as well upgrade.

PAUL B said:
My rear axle seal just started leaking after regearing. I know it's a simple fix. But i was told that someone makes a sealed bearing. Is that true? If so who makes it. I have to pull the bearings anyway might as well upgrade.
I would stick with the factory oil bath bearing. Most of the sealed bearings (in my experience, anyway) are ball type and not nearly as durable as the factory (Timken Set 10) tapered roller bearings and don't handle side loading as well, especially when it comes to running bigger than stock tires. My early Bronco would literally go through 2 sets of bearings a year, hard wheeling and deep water crossings (they're not as well sealed as you think) combined with daily driver duty made short work of them so, I had custom shafts made that took the later Timken Set 20 bearings (it now has a Warn full floater kit) and never had trouble with the bearings after that. Just my 2 cents, though. Take it for what it's worth---------Hans

Back