• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Condensate from Tail Pipe ?

Hylander

NAXJA Forum User
So how much Condensate is normal ?
When i start my Rig in the morning i get a puddle on the ground from the tail pipe and also a small puddle comes out of the connection between the pipe and the Muffler. I would say a half of a cup of water between the two.
500 miles on Brand new motor.

Normal in cold weather. After the exhaust system gets heated up it goes away. (While cold the exhaust system acts as a condenser and the exhaust gas is damp=condensation. after warm up just blows on thru as vapor)

Also if you have a rig with Cat then it is normal for some water to drip out. It means the cat is working. Properly operating cat makes oxygen and water out of your exhaust gas.

C8H18 + 12.5 O2 ---> 9 H2O + 8 CO2

Chemical equation of burning gasoline- lots of water. As mentioned above, when the engine is warm/hot it dissipates the water as vapor in the exhaust.

Sc00ter nailed it - it's 100% normal UNLESS it's green tinted (cracked head/block or bad head gasket letting coolant into the cylinders) or gummy and black/oily.

I'm not sure why murrow96 thinks a catalytic converter will produce oxygen from the exhaust gas, but it does produce water and CO2 from the unburnt hydrocarbons in the exhaust - same stoichiometric ratios and formula Sc00ter gave, it just happens in the cat instead of in the cylinders.

Every now and then I get something right. :laugh:

Learned on aircraft engines that it is best to warm up the engine completely to get all of that moisture out of the engine (or at least most of it). The mech stated that short runups never totally heat everything and allow that water to condense inside the engine = rust.

Sc00ter nailed it - it's 100% normal UNLESS it's green tinted (cracked head/block or bad head gasket letting coolant into the cylinders) or gummy and black/oily.

I'm not sure why murrow96 thinks a catalytic converter will produce oxygen from the exhaust gas, but it does produce water and CO2 from the unburnt hydrocarbons in the exhaust - same stoichiometric ratios and formula Sc00ter gave, it just happens in the cat instead of in the cylinders.

Ya co2 sorry. Brain fart. Didn't like science and drink to much to remember tech school my bad.

Last edited:
Back