• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track Bar Brace?

crazy-apes

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone done a track bar brace on their XJ? DOes anyone make one that will work with the stock mount? Rubicon and Rusty both say that their track bar mount brace will only work with their heavy duty track bar?

I can see my frame and track bar flex a little when someone works the wheel back and forth.

Any suggestions?

Curtis

If you have access to a welder, it's easy. Or find a friend who will weld for beer :laugh3:

I've made a couple for friends. Get some 1" solid bar, a couple tabs for the opposite side framerail, drill a hole through one end of the bar so it can be removed, and weld it up.

Here's the best pic I could find of mine:
304408617PsOqeu_ph.jpg

Rick

If you can see your trackbar flexing, I'd recommend upgrading it. I've got the RE 1660/1665/1670 Trackbar assortment on mine, and the brace can be a major pain in the butt to install if the Jeep has been wheeled more than a few times as the "framerails" will spread out a bit.

I'm in FtCollins too so let me know if you want to see the hardware up close.

Yucca-Man said:
If you can see your trackbar flexing, I'd recommend upgrading it. I've got the RE 1660/1665/1670 Trackbar assortment on mine, and the brace can be a major pain in the butt to install if the Jeep has been wheeled more than a few times as the "framerails" will spread out a bit.

I'm in FtCollins too so let me know if you want to see the hardware up close.

I'm not worried about the track bar itself, becuase it is the basic RE unit, it is just the mount at the frame.

Curtis

why would i want to waste money?

thanks for your help but you didnt answer my question, i have no need for a re bracket and brace if i did i wouldnt be posting here i would simply buy one.

88rockxj said:
why would i want to waste money?
I dunno - you're the one who wants to put a brace on the factory trackbar. :shrug:

There's nothing to the stamped steel factory bracket to mount a brace to. Skip the thought until you decide to upgrade the trackbar.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

A custom brace is not difficult to make..... but if you are seeing flex in the stock bracket you may want to really consider an upgrade to something beefier & double sheer.

Anyway... here is how i did mine...

jeeparizona054.jpg

how is that waisting money? i have zero need for a re bracket, there is absolutely nothing wrong with my bracket. my frame rail is moving and causing death wobble, this is my daily driver with no lift and a ratchet strap looped around the stock track bar bracket going to the two holes on the pass frame rail almost completely rids me of my death wobble so i want to put a brace on there instead of the ratchet strap. i see no reason to put a re bracket and track bar on a stock xj, that is waisting money.

but again thank you for your "help" perhaps i should have posted this in the oem forum, but i searched and came up with this thread so instead of making a new one i just replied to this one.

please could people stop telling me to get an after market track bar bracket and simply tell me whether they know of a company that offers a brace for the stock track bar bracket that goes under the oil pan and ties into the passenger frame rail.

thanks in advance for answer my question :cheers:

mattyj said:
A custom brace is not difficult to make..... but if you are seeing flex in the stock bracket you may want to really consider an upgrade to something beefier & double sheer.

Anyway... here is how i did mine...

my stock track bar bracket is perfectly fine, the frame rail is flexing not the bracket. i have a jeep on full width axles and custom suspension front and rear and a custom track bracket, im very aware i could build one and i have the tools to do it. what i dont have is the time and the motivation to fab one up when this jeep is stock and my daily driver where i was simply hoping i could buy one and bolt it up.

No, i have never heard of ,or seen a track bar bracket brace to fit on a stock bracket.... if your frame is flexing i suggest you look at the cause of that. It shouldn't be doing it with 29" tall tires on an unlifted stock cherokee.

the vehicle was in a front end collision and the repairs apparently arnt all that great, i dont really feel like taking everything apart to put some more spot welds in when a ratchet strap pretty much does the trick. i would just like to get a metal brace on there instead of the ratchet strap, including registration, insurance, and the price of the vehicle im only 450$ into and id like to keep it as low as i possibly can since i am saving up for a tow rig. i guess ill just build one

88rockxj said:
the vehicle was in a front end collision and the repairs apparently arnt all that great, i dont really feel like taking everything apart to put some more spot welds in when a ratchet strap pretty much does the trick. i would just like to get a metal brace on there instead of the ratchet strap, including registration, insurance, and the price of the vehicle im only 450$ into and id like to keep it as low as i possibly can since i am saving up for a tow rig. i guess ill just build one

Sorry but i dont see the sence in what you just said?? Its been in a collision, the frame is flexing and needs to be welded according to you, its in such a flimsy state that a ratchet strap makes a difference....and because its cheap its not woth fixing, just worth masking the real problem..

88rockxj said:

Sorry but i dont see the sence in what you just said?? Its been in a collision, the frame is flexing and needs to be welded according to you, its in such a flimsy state that a ratchet strap makes a difference....and because its cheap its not woth fixing, just worth masking the real problem..

it wont be masking the problem it is simply a different/easier way to fix the problem, once you bend metal its easier to bend again i highly doubt welding the frame will completely fix the problem. a track bar brace will be a much better fix imo, as i said im just asking if anyone makes a brace that will fit a stock tbb you are not aware of one thank you for your opinion on what you think i should do but thats not what im looking for. :cheers:

If you can see flexing the frame may be cracked around the trackbar brace. Take a look at this thread:
http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthread.php?t=34168

It's an aftermarket brace but you can see where the frame could tear under enough stress (like in a collision.) Skip to the end to see how he repaired it (mostly welding and additional plating like the previous poster) and how he made up a rail-to-rail brace. I think a modification to his approach would be to add in some bolt-together flanges on the bar so it could be removed if you ever needed to remove the oil pan for something like a rear seal replacement. Or just bolt the brace in and don't weld it to the frame.

But to answer your question I've never seen a brace for a stock trackbar mount.

Last edited:
Back