• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lexan Windshield

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
I got my Lexan windshield cut out today, but trying to decide how to mount it. Thinking I may drill some pilot holes for self tapping metal screws, and then put some silicone gasket-type maker on the frame, then screw it in and let it set.

Thoughts?

Good thought, but the Jeep was rolled and the windshield frame is way out of whack. I'm not sure that the factory surround would mold into place, besides, I'd still need a way to secure it to the windshield frame.

For my lexan rear windows on my ZJ I drilled pilot holes like you plan to but used rivets then siliconed them up. Self tapers makes for easy(er) removal, but also easier for them to loosen over time was my thoughts. Probably not likely with them siliconed over tho

Did you run a line of silicone over the frame and then rivet it to frame, or did you rivet it and then just run a bead of silicone around the outside?

I did it like a gasket on the lexan- which I’m sure was over kill but a bead down the edge and around the holes. Like you would rtv a diff cover. Then after I had it buttoned up with rivets I put dabs in them.

Back