• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2x6 sliders with door trimming

A couple pics from tonight since the shell is still sitting in my yard. You can kinda see how I welded a length of L stock along the bottom edge of the floor pan, then braced up to the 2x6 with 3" flat stock. The kickers were cut to fit the profile of the floor, not run thru the floor pan.

e9lvKby.jpg

1KFqLke.jpg

Making progress on the sliders. Here's a bunch of pics....

Decided not to go all the way flush to the top of the rocker. About 3/8" down there's a step that the slider fits nicely up against. The other side of this step is easily accessible for plug welds to the top of the slider.

2x2x1/8 angle welded to corner of floorboard. 2" angle is high enough to weld to the bottom of the slider.

Cutouts to clear various "floorboard obstructions" like the one shown in next pic...

Front of slider

Plug welds from the top

Fillet welds to the 2x2 angle

SDspearo lookin good man!!
Very clean lookin work man, love to see more of your rig..
Do you have a build thread?? I think I have the same 3 link front as you- same location lower mount, and same bolts/ plate for upper. Is your upper mount vertical or horizontal? Was it a diy kit? Previous owner installed it, and it looks identical to yours. The arms were SOLID tube and heavy af.. heim a and body side were bushings. Love to know more about it if it is the same design. Sorry to /threadjack

Thanks. No build thread but the long arm kit (by Rock Krawler) was already installed by the PO when I bought the rig 10 yrs ago.

Yep looks like that’s the one! Do you still run the UCA body mount vertical? As in the heim there connects to a vertical mount? I was questioning its design and thinking of making it horizontal like the lowers... your rig looks pretty built so if hasn’t been a concern, maybe I wont

Not sure what you mean by horizontal vs vertical...the UCA mount on the frame side is part of the LCA mount and there's only one way to mount it and the arms.
Here's a pic I snagged from somewhere...

Right... what I mean is the LCA mount has the bolt going through horizontal where as the UCA mount has the bolt go through vertically. My fear is that this limits droop on the drivers side. Most kits have that link with a horizontal mount/bolt. That gives the joint more room to go up and down as opposed to side to side like our kit

So completed the door trimming and patched up the bottoms on all 4 doors. I forget exactly, but I think I trimmed ~1.5". Also cleaned up and repainted the diamond plate armor which is riveted on. The diamond plate has a clean cut line and hides the patch panel spot welds.

Test fit without the diamond plate

Also got the outriggers cut to size and fitted, 4 per side. Went with 1.5" box, 1/4" wall since they'll be catching rocks. Was originally planning to plate the bottom, but between the 2x6x3/16 sliders, 2" angle, and outriggers this whole thing already weighs too much.

When I built my sliders I used aluminum for plating the bottom. After 17yrs their scratched and gouged but still holding up strong.
66740022_zpsbvlrxp0c.jpg

Finally finished the sliders.

Outriggers are all lined up and sure would be easy to plate them ala mini boatsides.

Yes, that's body filler covering my crappy fillet welds at the sill. Was able to keep the plastic sill guards since the sliders aren't flush at the top.

up images

Back