• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 pattern help

Puddin99

NAXJA Forum User
What do you think of this pattern?
08a445495f8252fa7dc0afb073e86e76.jpg
50310eef80bf4af8e7fb0a814205ff8e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That doesn't look horrible, what was backlash was that taken?

And thank you for your response.

I've read a lot on setting these up - some think it should be tighter and some on the loose side. Everyone has an opinion. If there are any suggestions on making it a bit looser for a better pattern, I'm up for trying.

Looks a little deep. I usually run the pinion with my small drill on low while holding pressure on the ring gear. Pattern shows up a littke better

You better take at least .010 out of pinion depth.

I'm not sure it needs .010 removed, but if its too much you'll know the right pattern is somewhere in the middle.

I took out the setup gears and out in the actual gears. Now it looks like the pinion needs to come out a little. Thoughts?

Thanks for the replies.
26f6ce73868dce2907d12ca7d518adeb.jpg
cb1fb66037b9b91ec9b613946e63a519.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's still too deep. Remove .004-.006 shims would probably get you very close, or do as RWK says and take .010 out and then go from there. Its nice to see what's too shallow vs too deep. I suspect you need to remove .004-.006. Changing the pinion shims changes the pattern very fast. .002 is often the difference between good and needs improvement.

During putting on the new gears, I did move .004 to make it not as deep, but then the backlash went to .011 - too much. So I put it back. Thoughts?

During putting on the new gears, I did move .004 to make it not as deep, but then the backlash went to .011 - too much. So I put it back. Thoughts?

You can check depth with BL at anywhere from about .002-.025 really. BL does very little to depth reading. 2 different reactions to 2 different adjustments.

Agreed, pinion depth matters more than backlash. Move about .006 thousandths from one side of the carrier to the other side if you want too, to keep back lash in spec. Over time, if you do it enough, you can get a feel. This is why gears are more art than science. The number that comes to mind is that every .001" of carrier shim change translates into .0007" of backlash... so a "70% effect".

Last edited:
Well the one side is now ovaled so its too shallow, and the other side, ehh, still looks like poo. Make sure the carrier bearings are preloaded. The carrier should need to be pried out of there with some bars.

Thanks for the reply. I know the backlash is now too much - .012 - this is when I moved .004 over. Before it was .006 BL. Do I need to move the pinion or find another combo of shims? I do need to use a deadblow to tap it in and bars to take the carrier out now.

Back