• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newb fab question

something that those who have done interior trim and molding will know...
you will actually have to miter both pieces of material if you want the joint to line up without a gap.

We have a winner with the right answer!

And while it only took 13 years, this is my 2000th posting.
And I have been RED since joining. Thanks NAXJA.
lol.

the angle of the cut needs to be half the angle of the desired miter.
but again, on both pieces of material.

and congrats.

You are the one that flew off the handle. A link was provided that explained the process fairly well.
If you didnt want to read anything you should have gotten a piece of metal coat hanger bent it to the angles you needed the transcrided that to the piece you are working on. No math no read no measurements.

So what your saying is
Perhaps fabrication should be left to those that are willing to to a little research and reading.
Is Perfectly fine non-toxic community chat.
It was a simple question I just needed to verify.
Your shit talking serves no legitimate purpose.
Flying off the handle. because calling someone out for shit talking means you're raging I guess.

Lol, I didn't ask how to ghetto rig it I asked how to calculate it to ensure my angles are correct.

Also googling "how to measure an angle" wouldn't have solved the problem. As you see in VA's photo the length of the cut can exceed the width of the material or be shorter than it creating a gap if you don't miter.
So thanks to VA for preventing me from wasting material.

Last edited:
I drew it out to figure it out. Apparently wanting to make sure isn't cool.
Everyone just wants to shit talk.
I said it was a newb question I guess that's invitation for them to show how big their e-dick is.
After doing the layout full size I would cut my parts to fit the drawing. I've done it this way many, many times over the years.

il_570xN.659143113_i4wp.jpg
Score yourself one of these. Makes for easy angle transfers.

If you can do without the digital gauge, you can make an angle transfer gauge using two metal rulers attached at one end with a machine screw, with a wingnut or threaded knob on it. I've made longer versions of these for bending tubing angles, using two 2ft lengths of 3/4" width steel strap.

Last edited:
Darn fine idea, that.

Where can I get one?

Somebody mention interior trim? Handrails and such, do it every day.

I don't own a protractor, never used one.

Guess and go.

After decades of it, you just know.

Mock up with 2x2 pine, your chop saw will give you the angles. Angle at frame will be double the angle cut at the other end of the diagonal. For example, if at frame you are at 45 degrees, the other end will be two cuts at 22.5

Last edited:
This turd is what Professionals did.
What's cut off in the first pic was my upper link, they failed to account for horizontal movement while drooped and it ripped the tabs off. Probably ****ed up my johnny joints but we shall see.
They didn't even bother welding the top.
They didn't want to move the fuel/brake lines so they just went around it.
9l04Jfm.jpg

wwxi0xb.jpg

Just because you paid them to do it, doesn't make them professional...

Just because you paid them to do it, doesn't make them professional...

That's literally what that means.
pro·fes·sion·al
adjective

(of a person) engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as a pastime.
It was a fab shop that had been around for a while. Has had builds featured in magazines.

Being professional doesn't mean they're good.

Last edited:
pro·fes·sion·al
adjective

(of a person) engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as a pastime.
It was a fab shop that had been around for a while. Has had builds featured in magazines.

No, being in a magazine or car show would be my last choice!

pro·fes·sion·al
adjective

Thank you, Captain Obvious. I, too, know the literal meaning of many words.
I'm glad to see you managed to understand my point even given your pedantic nature.
Go look that one up. ;)

Back