• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

0630 head into 01 XJ

kmanxj5050

NAXJA Forum User
I'm putting a motor out of a 98 into a 01 that I bought. I forgot about all the O2 sensors on the manifold in 01's. Has anyone done this? If so how did you work around it?

you need an adapter plate. the 01 manifold does not line up properly with the older exhaust ports.

there might be a way to do it with an older manifold, but not sure about emissions and getting engine to run properly. the upstream sensors are important, even if emissions arent required as they determine air/fuel.

a member here made and sold an adapter a while back, looks like he still makes them: https://jeepexhaustadapter.com/

The most proper solution is to use a 0331 head on top of the 98 block and keeping all the 2001 emissions/manifolds/cats in place. Tampering with emissions is against federal law and discussion of doing so is not tolerated on this forum.

Last edited:
I'm putting a motor out of a 98 into a 01 that I bought. I forgot about all the O2 sensors on the manifold in 01's. Has anyone done this? If so how did you work around it?

Aftermarket, performance headers, made for your 2001's emission exhaust, such as Banks. will cover the exhaust ports on a 930 head, without using any type of adaptor.
You will be able to retain the stock O2 sensors and two mini-catalytic converters.
You will have to fabricate brackets to hold the COP coil rail in place, since the 930 head lacks the threaded bosses that the coil rail bolts to.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=937214&highlight=0331

Aftermarket, performance headers, made for your 2001's emission exhaust, such as Banks. will cover the exhaust ports on a 930 head, without using any type of adaptor.
Whoops, should have said 630 head.

The most proper solution is to use a 0331 head on top of the 98 block and keeping all the 2001 emissions/manifolds/cats in place. Tampering with emissions is against federal law and discussion of doing so is not tolerated on this forum.

Right because the gooberment is watching naxja for someone rigging up O2 sensors on a 16 year old jeep.

https://jeepexhaustadapter.com/0630-head/

I'm doing a swap now -- 98 grand engine with 27,000 miles on it into a 2000 XJ with cali emissions -- The 98 engine has a 7120 head

I bought the adapter plate above -- $120 shipped to your door -- It's well made and worth it to keep all the O2 sensors

You also need exhaust/intake gaskets for both the 0630 and 0331 heads

Gaskets are made to seal between two mating surfaces, not between a mating surface and another gasket. The gaskets would not seal/blow out.

Back