• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lessons learned from online parts ordering

RedMaineXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I ordered a Carter fuel pump assembly from ebay last week to solve my slow start/priming issue.
The box arrives, and with excitement I cut open the box only to discover an Airtex inside the Carter box!
Proceed with caution fellow squares..

I ordered a Carter fuel pump assembly from ebay last week to solve my slow start/priming issue.
The box arrives, and with excitement I cut open the box only to discover an Airtex inside the Carter box!
Proceed with caution fellow squares..

That is so not right.

Not that I don't order parts online but I pick and choose.

One example is when I needed a new stater for my '00 XJ.
I bought a brand new Napa one. Not remaned. With my discount it was still not cheap. Could have bought one online, other local retailers, etc for maybe as cheap as half the price. Know what. It comes with a lifetime warranty. Which will not be a problem being honored if there every is a problem. With the exception of new ones not being made anymore and I might have to take a remaned one. Not worth the trouble in mind. Especially if for some reason I ordered the wrong one. It was the right part number but packaged wrong. Etc.

Now a Carter pump is a Carter pump. Does not matter where you get it from. At least it should be. Just sucks what happened to you.

Theft by swindle, eBay will get your money back.

eBay gets a lot of returned merchandise, I mean being sold there. There a resellers taking a chance buying crap returned to amazon, Best Buy and Walmart, once place was called mad Cheetah and was amazon returns, I know because I saw a ring kit I got from warehouse deals (Amazon’s in house reseller of open packaged items) ended up on eBay via Mad Cheetah, I know it was the same kit because 5 of the 6 sets were perfect and new and one was obviously used. But I also snapped up some great deals on tools amazon let go to cheetah.

That said there are plenty of scammers purposely mislabeling parts to make a quick buck. Use the PayPal and eBay buyer protections, it is why they are there and they work in your favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

your slow start/prime issue is likely your regulator ontop of the fuel pump, or a leaking injector/ injector o-ring

your slow start/prime issue is likely your regulator ontop of the fuel pump, or a leaking injector/ injector o-ring

Think so? I have bloodied my fingers on forums about the long crank start issue, and I thought the pump assembly contained the check valve causing it

i am not sure if it contains the check valve, but i do know you can purchase the check valve individually.

i have replaced it on both my 99 and 00, if you can get a hold of a fuel pressure tester, check your pressure, if it is at 49 psi your pump is likely good.

another tip, buy new fuel tank straps, maine winters are very hard on them, it will save you hours of swearing, and many bloody knuckles.

Yeah I'm that guy that cleans everything, will wipe out the tank, replace clamps, etc with new ones. I do a job once and theoretically I don't have to worry about it again for a long while.

Online or in person you can always get scammed and not know it.

How many people looking at oil filters do you think grab the more expensive filter and swap it into the supertech or fram box and no one notices till they get their new expensive filter box home open it and it's orange ;)

Back