• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

suddenly cold-natured

dusterboy71

NAXJA Forum User
My '88 Limited, 4.0, 242, auto, started having this big hesitation only on the first few accerations when first starting it up in the morning. Now, a week later, on my first acceleration of the day it banged alittle at 45 mph on the finale shift and lockup! When warmed up a little it is fine. Oh, it has 127k on it and was in Las Vegas for it's first 14 years. Now it's in Indiana. I keep up on the maintenance and fix everything as soon as it needs it. Help.

Your XJ doesn't like Indiana. Take it back to Vegas and head for the nearest poker table. Maybe it needs a royal flush. ;)
It sounds like the TPS is going bad. Check the voltage from the middle wire with the throttle closed and open it gradually till you reach WOT (ignition on, engine off). It it increases gradually with no dips, the TPS is OK. If not, replace it.

Back