• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MOHAWK MADNESS labor Day Weekend!!!! sept 3 - 5

sidriptide

nobody of any consequence
ok while we wait for the planning forum to be opened up i will start it here... (please move this thread when a new forum is opened)
the basics..
who: all NAXJA members and XJ/MJ owners who wish to attend a weekend of camping and wheeling in the north adams ma area

when:friday sept 3rd thru sunday sept 5th...

where: the mohawk trail is US Rt 2 that runs from the boston area west into new york... the area we are reffering to is the northwest corner of massachusetts near north adams, williamstown, and florida...

base camp: TO BE ANNOUNCED .. one of the many state parks inthe area our intention is to get a group site for all of us to be in the same place....

what: a weekend of running legal unmaintained 4 wheel drive roads in Ma and Vt. accompanied by camping/BBQing and BSing... there are a few of us who have spent alot of time scouting and enjoying the area out there and really feel that it is worth sharing with others..

meeting times and such will be posted as soon as we iron out the details.... i reallyy apreciate the interst in this event even though it seems "last minute" the logistics are nothing i havent handled before... our trails of choice will be dictated by the abilities of the vehicles and drivers.. we can offer scenic dirt roads all the way thru hard core insane trails.... i will be setting up a seperate thread for a "role call/pre-registration".. we will run with all NAXJA rules/by laws as well as COMMON SENSE....
the basic schedule will be..
friday: early arrivals.. trail ride depending on attendance and interest..
saturday: more arrivals.. trail rides meet and depart in the AM.. depending on time and interst more trails can be added to the day.. retrun to camp and prepare dinner (this time around it will be BYOF, may change that for next year)
sunday: break camp and depart on trail rides forthe day...

the surrounding towns have all the stores and services you may need.. whether you have trail breakage or simply forgot something at home.... we will be sure to point out the local businesses that support us as offf-roaders...

myself and eagle can answer any questions you may have....
(i know i forgot something)
COME ON OUT FOR THE FUN!!!!!!!!!!

mike

I've posted this info up on the front page of the NAXJA website. I'll update it when we get further details together.

Skorpyo said:
I've posted this info up on the front page of the NAXJA website. I'll update it when we get further details together.

thanks skorpyo.... any chances of getting a "planning forum" like the other events have?? or is that already in the works??

mike

um....I'll mention it to the BOD.
Tim

Forum is up and running thanks to Mr. Forum Fixer. The front page has a link to it now in the news section and the forum is accessible from the forum index.
Skorpyo

the camping situation is settled..

Mt Greylock state reservation, the "chimney" group site.. we have it from friday 9/3 thru sunday 9/5.... should be plenty of room for all of us...

i want to point out that consumption of alcohol is STRICTLY PROHIBITED in Massachusetts state parks... so be a good wheeler and don't crack a beer at camp.. there are establishemnts in town that can take care of you if its that important but it will not be tolerated on the trail OR the camp..

mike

Last edited:
Mike, I haven't had a beer in so long I probably wouldn't like the taste now, but for those who do and just can't enjoy a cook-out without a brewski in hand -- do you know if the state parks allow the non-alcoholic "beers" such as O'Douls? Can we find out, just in case someone wants to bring that type of quaffable?

Eagle said:
do you know if the state parks allow the non-alcoholic "beers" such as O'Douls? Can we find out, just in case someone wants to bring that type of quaffable?

probably not a problem and i wouldnt take issue with it.. but ... why????

mike

sidriptide said:
probably not a problem and i wouldnt take issue with it.. but ... why????

mike
I dunno. Just thought I would ask, in case someone wants the taste of a beer w/o running afoul of the rules. But I think O'Douls contains a small amount of alcohol, so if anyone wants to bring it, check with the rangers ahead of time.

sounds like this should be a really good time. i love that area of the state, but don't make it out there a whole lot. it'll be nice to visit again.

i had a few questions though before i post back to the headcount thread. this'll be my first trip with NAXJA.

friday thru sunday means that we don't have a campsite sunday night, right?
i'm definately planning on wheelin sat but still think about sunday.

also, what are the group sites like at greylock? are they all tent sites? or are there lean-tos (sp)? is it all in one big area that's centered around one main fire pit? or are there littler sites with thier own pits? i assume we should plan to bring all of our own supplies, but i'm just thinking about the cooking/firewood situation? if there's just one main fire, we probably shouldn't plan to do any cooking on that, correct?

thanks, mike

Hi Mike :wave:

We have the group campsite from Friday afternoon to Sunday before noon, meaning we'll need to break camp before wheeling on Sunday basically.

I haven't seen the "Chimney" group site in person but I expect it to be similar to the group site we had on Memorial Day which was a large fire pit in the middle and tent clearings spread out around it. I belive there is a single lean-to on the "Chimney" site and judging solely on the name I wouldn't be surprised if there was the relic of a foundation with an actual chimney but that's just speculation on my part. On the Memorail Day group site in the same campground we had a dozen tents set up comfortabley with room for a few more probably. For cooking I plan on bringing a small charcoal grill and I know others will too and if you wanted a piece of the campfire to cook I'm sure that would be cool too, bringing some dry wood might be a good idea as well.

You can find out more about the campsite HERE and if you wanted to reserve your own site for Sunday night you can do that HERE although you are required to reserve at least 2 nights.

Glad your planning on coming & see you there!
-Bic

i expect the site to be like bic described. but i will be up there scouting this weekend and will check out the site so we know what to expect... mt greylock is pretty "primitive" with no running water although there are toilet facilities near by.... everyone should bring what they need to sustain themselves. although i'm sure we will share quite a bit of stuff we should all expect to take care of ourselves.. a few charcoal grills will certainly be needed, (i have one as well) the site will have a central firepit and we already have a plan to get firewood from a local vendor.. a few $$ from everyone who camps will cover the things some of us are pre-paying out of our own pockets... i see no reason we couldnt try to cook on the fire pit.. i think i will pick up a wide grill this week and bring it along to see if it is practical.. if you forgot something there are supermarkets and walmart in town...

mike

whats the latest date i can sign up i still have to do gears on my truck and im leaving for vaction and will only have a few days to do them when i get back

i guess up until the last time i check my email on friday the 3rd before i head out of town... have a good vacation and hope you get the gears done in time to play....

mike

sidriptide said:
who: all NAXJA members and XJ/MJ owners who wish to attend a weekend of camping and wheeling in the north adams ma area

mike

no need to be a member.. just an XJ/MJ owner with an interest in the event.. however as a non-member you are restricted from inviting any non-XJs along with you.. if you have freinds with XJ/MJs they are welcome just as you are... come on out and have a good time.. be sure to use the registration link i re-posted..

mike

hey, so now that i'm all payed up and stuff, is it cool if invite my brother? (drives a ZJ w/ 33's)

Back