• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ Knuckles / Brakes on JK44?

I know that both ball joints are the same between a JK and a WJ and the steering knuckles will bolt up. You still need to run a knuckle spacer, just like you would if you did it on a XJ. The outer axle spline count is different on the JK 44 vs. the WJ, so you would use the JK unit bearing. WJ knuckles and a 1/4" knuckle spacer, WJ brakes, WJ caliper and bracket, WJ rotor.

^^^^^This.
The JK comes with larger brakes and a dual arm Passenger knuckle. In general comparison, the JK knuckles/steering offer the same benefits as the WJ knuckles/steering. If you source a bare JK housing, then just add on the JK outer components to complete the axle.

Here is a thread over on Pirate that talks about it. https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/2246754-jk-dana-44-wj-brakes.html . There is a slight advantage to using the WJ brakes over the JK brakes, since they are slightly bigger, but as others have said, it is probably easier to just get a whole JK setup, knuckles and all.

JK front caliper piston 2.6" (66mm) dia. or 5.31 in^2 (area)
WJ front caliper piston 1.889" (48mm) dia. or 2.805 in^2 (area) times two = 5.61 in^2 (area)

JK front rotor 302mm dia.
WJ front rotor 305mm dia.

JK front rotor swept area 220.6 in^2
WJ front rotor swept area 255 in^2

JK master cylinder bore diameter 1.0"
WJ master cylinder bore diameter 1.0"

So the magic is in the 15% larger swept area of the front rotors and a slight hydraulic leverage ratio increase. The WJ must have a taller brake pad that covers a wider section of the rotor radius since the diameters are almost identical.

^^^^^This.
The JK comes with larger brakes and a dual arm Passenger knuckle. In general comparison, the JK knuckles/steering offer the same benefits as the WJ knuckles/steering. If you source a bare JK housing, then just add on the JK outer components to complete the axle.

Main reason I'm asking is I already have all the WJ stuff. So I figured if I bought a bare JK front axle, I could use what I have. Maybe I'd be ahead to just sell what I have and go with all JK stuff . . .

Back