• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

P0500 Speed Sensor code popped up today out the blue....

01classicxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hello. My Cherokee started as a 2001 2wd. I found a 1999 part's Cherokee with the tranny/242transfercase already pulled as well as front HP30. Did the swap. I recall no check engine and the speedo worked. But had driveline vibes. Jeep sat up awhile do to Hurricane Harvey stuff. Bought a rebuilt 231J HD built with SYE installed already. It sat in Cherokee a year. I finally last week had it put in the Cherokee at Jeep reputable 4x4 shop. New CV driveshaft. Everything fine short drive home. But i can't remember if speedo working. Visual under Jeep once home everything looks ok. The shop did ask me the tire size i was gonna run with my 4.56 gear's, so they did install a speedo gear. I had a check engine light on and the shop told me the charcoal canister had a leak at one of the connections. So today i crawled under and fixed that. Unplugged both terminals for about 30 minutes from battery. Reset the light. Now the test run. Me a GF take a ride, and that's when i notice the speedo ain't working. Come to a stop sign. Take off, now it's working. Then it goes flat. Sometimes on deceleration it jumps up to where it should be then fall's back flat. About 25 miles into trip the check engine light comes on. Swing into Autozone. P0500 code Speed Sensor A. Get home. Look again under XJ. The VSS look's ok on outside. Connection still tight. As much as i wanted to pull off the connection and then the whole VSS and look, i opted not to since might mess with the Jeep shop warranty. And it's going back in Tuesday for this issue. It might be a easy fix. Faulty part. But i need some reassurance or other idea's/possibility's. Since this was a 2wd to 4wd swap. Seem's like i read on NAXJA something about a 2wd VSS plug has 5 pin's. 4wd VSS has 3. I cannot remember how the 2wd VSS was setup connection wise, what was done to make it work in the 99' 242. And now why doesn't it in the 231 that i'm not sure of the year. So tomorrow i'm going to pull the VSS electrical connector. How many spades should i be looking at? This XJ was gonna be up for sale on here next week. But a Gremlin got me. And it need's to be fixed right.

Last edited:
Back