• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

waggy pitman arm for cherokee

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

swapping in a waggy 44, and the pitman arm that comes on the waggy steering linkage is straight. im thinking a drop would be good to get good steering angles. somebody told me you can use a waggy pitman arm drop, and itll bolt to the stock steering box?

true..no??

i dont have a reamer, and dont want to waste time on a pitman arm if i dont think itll work

True. something like $40, instock at Rusty's. You can use your stock arm (if you ream), but you will lose some turning radius as the throw on the D44 knuckles is longer than stock and you need to match that with the pitman.

$59 at Rusty's, $65 from BJ's Offroad for a FSJ (Waggy) drop pitman.

I used one to correct for my Teraflex hi-steer, it bolts right on to the XJ box. I reamed mine out for the 1 ton TREs, didn't take much, but if you are reusing the Waggy steering, you won't have to.

Rustys: http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=RS-DPA2&Category_Code=ste
BJ's: http://www.bjsoffroad.com/cartgenie/prodInfo.asp?pid=465&cid=13

Edit: If you order one from BJ's and put down an XJ as your vehicle, they will probably call you to make sure you know what you are doing. They asked me if I was sure it would work before they shipped it. Just FYI.

Last edited:
Nope, if you use the stock Waggy steering setup with the axles, you won't have to ream the pitman if you go with a Waggy arm. If you use stock XJ steering, reuse your stock pitman. If you upgrade to 1 ton steering, you will have to ream the pitman.

Make sense? Stock (Waggy) to stock (Waggy) you don't change anything.

You will definately need a drop pitman, the Waggy's stock arm is way too straight to work out on our XJs.

Here's a couple pics of mine... ignore the rust, this is the Midwest after all.

HPIM0991.jpg

HPIM0994.jpg

How much drop does it give?

Here's a comparison that I took when I did my steering conversion.

IMG_3853-800.jpg

They are from left to right, CJ (straight), YJ/TJ (2.5" drop), stock XJ (3.5" drop), and an aftermarket drop XJ (close to ZJ) (4.5" drop).

I don't know if these have the correct hole to hole dimension or not, just throwing it out there...

Ramsey said:
How much drop does it give?

A little less than a stock XJ pitman; my draglink and tierod were almost perfectly parallel with the stock XJ arm, and now the draglink is at a slight angle. I'd uneducatedly guess 2.5"-3" if a stock XJ is 3.5".

Here's a couple pics of mine... ignore the rust, this is the Midwest after all.

HPIM0991.jpg

HPIM0994.jpg

Any chance you can get ma a measurement from bolt center to bolt center? I think this is what I need for the D60.

not to change the subject too much, but is there any way possible we can get a closeup of that trackbar mount? i'm looking to build that setup for mine, and don't have anything to go off of. thanks

Just to update my findings. There are 2 different "waggy" drop arms. one is not much longer then the xj drop arm and did not work for my application. The second one is much more expensive. If I find the $$$ to get one I'll update you guys on how it works.

Any chance you can get ma a measurement from bolt center to bolt center? I think this is what I need for the D60.
I know this is old, but my Waggy arm was about 6.75'' center to center. This is a waggy arm and a stock XJ arm for reference.
0075.jpg

Back