• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Couple of newbie questions

cykaaro

NAXJA Forum User
Been restoring a '90 XJ Pioneer. Just put in a new header paneltoday, out of a '93, was able to pull the foglight harness off an 89' limited to use on mine etc which I'll be doing once it's a bit warmer out.

Anyways, I seem to be having a problem with my reverse lights. I took it in to have all the recalls done on it, and the shift-lock was done on it so not sure if this is part of the problem. Presently the NSS has been bypassed but has never effected the reverse lights. Seems that when I'm in reverse, they are no longer coming on. I tried wiggle the shifter [auto] a bit, and if I carefully moved toward nuetral, was able to get them to come on, but not all the time. Any ideas of what the cause is? what I can do to fix this problem? as I need to get it safetied still. [also have very limited experience on auto repair, but am pretty good at learning as I go]

Thx for any suggestions of what to try.

well i thought i was in teh same predicament until i actually got out and looked to see if my reverse lights were on. They were, it was just that they are so small and puny they dont do anything. so you might wnat to check that

It might still be the NSS causing the problem. If the NSS is dirty it won't make a good connection. Mine's doing the same. I can wiggle the shifter and make the light come on by moving toward neutral. Do a search for NSS and there's lots of knowledge on how to clean it. Its a fairly easy job, takes about 2 hrs or so. Here's a link to a writeup on Jeepin.com. Its got a pretty good write up with photos as well.

BlackSport96 said:
It might still be the NSS causing the problem. If the NSS is dirty it won't make a good connection. Mine's doing the same. I can wiggle the shifter and make the light come on by moving toward neutral. Do a search for NSS and there's lots of knowledge on how to clean it. Its a fairly easy job, takes about 2 hrs or so. Here's a link to a writeup on Jeepin.com. Its got a pretty good write up with photos as well.

Thanks. Was hoping it was an easier fix than this. Unfortunately I have limited tools and resources. Not sure how hard to get it off it'll be because being from Northern Ontario it's unfortunately rusted and afraid the bolt is the same way. Will have to get underneath and see if it's even possible for me to get off. Can always try eh?

Back