• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Newbie - a couple of questions

azee

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

I just picked up my first XJ...its an '89 Limited, and I absolutely LOVE it. Being a Jeep newbie, I have a couple of questions that I have not been able to track down answers to:

1- There is no overhead console, however, just above the rear view mirror there appears to be some sort of sensor. I can see resistors and a small board, and the cover appears to be missing. Can someone tell me what this is/what is does?

2- Did any of the '89 Limited come with ABS? If so, how do I tell if its there? Should I look for some sort of ABS fuse or computer?

3- Kind of annoying, but are there lights which light up the HVAC control area? I'm assuming that there is, and its just a burnt out bulb, but its frustrating not being able to see what its doing at night!

4- I'm not a big fan of the "gold kit" look, but my XJ is black with the gold pinstripping, moulding, emblems, and wheels. Over the course of its life, the Jeep has lost several pieces of moulding. Is it fairly easy to remove all of it? Does it look better without? I'm referring to the lower moulding with the gold stripe in it.

5- Similar to question #4, but is there any way to easily/cleanly remove the gold pinstripping? The paint is pretty faded, so I don't really want to be left with "clean" spots, although I do plan on polishing and waxing it soon.

6- The area below the clock appears to have a large blank space.....were there any options on other versions that I could snag from a wrecking yard?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Alan

1. Sounds like keyless entry sensor.

2.Yes and you do not want it the ABS but you do want the u-joints! The easy way is the front axle. There will be tone rings ont eh shafts and a sensor on the caliper.

3. Good question! My 84 never did light up!

4. I think an XJ looks best with big tires and big dents! LOL!

5. Hmmm get a Tellico Stripe! LOL! Some people are very talented with a razor blad and can get that strip off without even stoping for a breath of fresh air!

6. Isn't that where the rear wiper switch is? Does it have a rear wiper?

HTH!

All I can answer for sure is #3

My 90 burned out too. There should be a small bulb (if my memory is right on the right side) of the HVAC control unit. You will probably have to unscrew the HVAC unit to get to it.

The bulbs are the same as the bulbs in the idiot lights on the far left of the dash. I think they run about $1.97 for 2 at WalMart.

The light for the HVAC is a small pop-in (T74?) but you need to remove the dash facia, then undo the four screws holding the HVAC to get at it. The plug is a push-and-twist type, then simply pull the old bulb out and pop the new one in. Because it's a PITA to get to, I'd recommend making sure it works before reconnecting everything. I just replaced mine last week, but I pulled everything else apart to relocate my radio.

(Edit)1. That is a sensor for keyless entry. From what I've seen on the board here, it's better to just get an aftermarket alarm and keyless entry.

2. 89 ABS is evil, and I believe it had a lifetime recall.

3. See above

4. Not sure - mine fell off too...

5. You probably already have those 'clean spots' but there's a "pinstripe eraser" made by 3M that should be available at NAPA. I guess it's like a big rubber eraser - again that's something mentioned on here occasionally.

6. I've never seen anything factory in that spot, but it seems to fit aftermarket gauges (tranny temp, oil, etc)

Last edited:
Back