• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf Spring Grease?

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I am rebuilding my lifted rubicon express leaf springs. The stack of leaf's is all apart.

I reckon some sort of grease between the leaf's might be a good idea to reduce friction, forestall corrosion. There certainly is plenty of metal to metal rubbing, even with the plastic anti friction buttons installed.

Is this a good idea? If so what type of grease?

I am new to leaf springs so excuse my ignorance.. Torsion springs have been my thing the last four decades, i.e. VW Bugs.

Thank You!

That only last's a couple days then you have a mess. It's best to spray your pack down with spray graphite before each run, you"ll have to jack up the rear of the vehicle so the leaves can fan out.

California, what rust ?

Don't make me spew my coffee onto the keyboard. :farmer:

California, what rust ?

Don't make me spew my coffee onto the keyboard. :farmer:

I can show you great rust from Kali.

Don't forget Kali is next to a large puddle of water. Saltwater to be specific.

The first time I dealt with the brakes on my '73 Suburban the biggest challenge was finding the calipers and hardware under all the seaweed. (not my own doing--courtesy of the previous owner) That rig has a number of places you can put your fingers through the body, and when you close the doors you get a shower of rust.

Imagine that for 5 months of the year every time it snows, or thaws, your Cherokee is treated to a MnDOT NaCl marinade of 5 tons per mile. I would trade my pinky finger for a Cali XJ without self draining floorboards and ventilated rockers.

Tractor Supply has a graphite spray paint, that should lube the springs fo awhile.

I tried 'Slip Plate', a dry film graphite lubricant a few years back.
A lot of work for no noticeable gain. I wouldn't waste my time doing that again.

Last edited:
Back