• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New affordable tire options

moparmansfield

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the market for a new set of 33×12.5(or 10.5)×15 mud or aggressive all terrains. I'm finding a lot of new brands that have popped up with decent looking options at much cheaper prices. I'm not playing in the rocks much these days, but I want to be able to get through rocky sections if needed.

Milestar, Gladiator, Thunderer, and quite a few others. In person, they seem to be of pretty decent quality, and I wonder if they are made in the same factories, or if there are reasons to stay away from them.

Any of you guys running a non name brand tire with opinions on them? I'd be stoked to pick up a new set of tires for less than $600.

I usually try to use domestic tires on my heeps and other vehicles, but I do have a set of Hankooks MT's on my wifes XJ. I like my Goodyear Kevlars on my XJ better, however.

In general, I try to stay away from Chinese brands. Probably those you listed are from overseas.

I do sometimes use Chinese tires on my work truck over the past 15 years. Hit or miss. Some have held up very well, yet others have not. Had set of Chinese on my full size van conversion and those were junk. Out of round after only a few thousand miles. Did have some Japanese tires on my motorhome, those held up well. All in all, most of the Chinese tires I have used in the past 25 years have been not worth the savings.

With the exception of my work truck, now I only buy domestic tires. I'd rather pay the extra money for quality than take a chance on more Chinese junk.

That's been my experience. Hope that helps.

Not under 600 but the Falcon Wildpeak AT3/W new design are great tires. No issues in rain or snow. Have not done any mudding with them however.

If you're ok with running adapters, you can usually pick up a set of JK Rubicon take off wheels and tires for around $500 with great tread life left.

Gives you about a 32.5" BFG Mud Terrain.

I just bought some 35" Milestar Patagonias from Discount Tire. Haven't used them yet but reviews I've read and seen are overwhelmingly positive.

Not under 600 but the Falcon Wildpeak AT3/W new design are great tires. No issues in rain or snow. Have not done any mudding with them however.

Have these on our 2006 f150. They are great tires for sure, but looking for more offroad oriented and a bit cheaper.

I'd stick with 10.5
Cheap tires cost you more in the long run. They ride like $hit and wear faster. There's
a reason they are cheap. I run the Falkens on my WJ and love them. They do great all around by far some of the better tires I've run on a rig. And for the money you aren't going to find a better tire.

Running Falkens too. Really like them. I am looking at a cheaper brand for another XJ. Multi-Mile is a US brand. I think Cooper makes their AT type tires. One of the offerings I am looking at is a 3-peak.

I just bought some 35" Milestar Patagonias from Discount Tire. Haven't used them yet but reviews I've read and seen are overwhelmingly positive.

Yeah those are on my radar for sure. Right around the $600 mark before install.

I have a 37x12.5R17 Federal Couragia M/T that I bought brand new, was super cheap- works great as a spare! :p :laugh3::laugh3:

I went from 33x10.5 bfg mt's to 32x11
.5 falkin wildpeak at's it was an overall good improvement and less $ then bfg at's.
A lot of times I felt the 10.5 mt's lacked footprint and don't get me started on how scary they are on ice !
Bought the wildpeaks online for a little north of $600 delivered.

If you're ok with running adapters, you can usually pick up a set of JK Rubicon take off wheels and tires for around $500 with great tread life left.

Gives you about a 32.5" BFG Mud Terrain.

always a set of takeoffs on my local craigslist and FB mkt

For a rig that's more trail than street, the chinese mudstars are a pretty damn good tire and you get a set in your budget. they are a MT and I didn't drive rig on the street, so no idea about street wear or longevity. in fact, I recently bought 1 in 33" to replace one with a gashed sidewall.

aggressive tire that does well in rocks and mud

Four wheeler testing:
https://www.fourwheeler.com/product-reviews/1511-testing-the-nankang-n889-mudstar/

Last edited:
for passenger cars I note the discount tires tend to get cracked sidewalls in short order, 5 years even, where as name brands dont show cracks even after 20 years. problem is many tire shops will not service a tire over ten years old, what swap rims, wont patch them. if you buy used, check the date code on them. even new tires may have been aging for years

Yeah those are on my radar for sure. Right around the $600 mark before install.

+1 for the patagonias. I'm running adapters with 13+ rubi rims with 285/75/17 and they work absolutely wonderful in mud, rocks, snow. You name it, Especially if you air down to about 15psi. $650 shipped from the Amazoni. Measured out to about a 33.

Only problem I had was getting the tire to spin since I am open/open(lol) but if it was spinning I was going up whatever i was climbing.

I put dirt commander's on my pickup about 500miles ago..
Wish I'd of put cheap tires on the xj to. It has 1600$ tires and truck has 700 that's mounted

The mud claw is sweet looking tire to. My girlfriend put those on her suburban.

I'll be watching tread wear On mine and hers. Still adjusting air stage.

Back