• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf Spring Shim Wedge

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I am adding some wedge shims to correct my axle angle. I have the wedge shaped shims, but have a question on which side up to install them.

A.... Does the side that is 90 degrees to the spring bolt face down, on the axle?

Or....

B.... Does the side that has the angle other than 90 degrees go face down on the axle?

Thanks!

I just did this on my Heep build yesterday, and I've done it on my other two heeps, as well. So the best way I can describe what I did is like this.

The shim is basically a right triangle. I put the hypotenuse side down towards the spring perch on the axle.

I bought longer leaf spring center bolts and I found they fit better in that orientation. My steel shims had a little countersink on the hypotenuse side that the head of the bolt fit into. Seems like the holes were drilled parallel to the short side of the 90 degree angle.

Hope that makes sense.

doesn't really matter.....what matters is the wedge shape between the spring and pad.....

Only reason you have a 90 deg on 1 side only is it's easier to manufacture

Make sure the shims are held on by the center bolt....and that there is a head to hold them on the pad correctly....otherwise they could slip and that would be real bad.

Personally, I'd put the 90 deg against the spring so you see a vertical edge when assembled vice an angled one.....but that's just me

doesn't really matter.....what matters is the wedge shape between the spring and pad.....

Only reason you have a 90 deg on 1 side only is it's easier to manufacture

Make sure the shims are held on by the center bolt....and that there is a head to hold them on the pad correctly....otherwise they could slip and that would be real bad.

Personally, I'd put the 90 deg against the spring so you see a vertical edge when assembled vice an angled one.....but that's just me

Ok, I cut a counter bore on the plate so that the bolt head mating surface under the head is parallel to the opposite side of the wedge. now it dont matter which side is up.

Back