• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bolt on 5x5 hubs

AndyEBR

NAXJA Forum User
I am swapping my rear axles on my xj and have the Yukon double drilled axles for my 8.25. I'm currently running 5x5 wheels with a spacer/adapter to go from 4.5x5 to 5x5. I would like to get rid of the spacers. Does anyone know of a way to get hubs for the front that are 5x5 on a Dana 30?

I've tried searching with any combination of these and just get wheel spacer results...

Thanks for the help!

Andy

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

I guess that's an option. I already did the big break upgrade and I don't know if I can keep them if I do that but I'll do some research on it. The thing stoops like a stubborn muel with these brakes and I don't want to lose that.

Yep, that would get you you want with the benefit of the bigger brakes. I stuck with the 4.5" pattern so I had to buy WJ rotors that were dual drilled.

I just watched a video on the swap... Can I just use a wj hub? It looks like it's the same bolt pattern and size. I see there is a spacer needed for the swap but is that because the hub is different or because the wj knuckle is not as deep as the xj?

Thanks guys!

The hub is not as thick. So you would have machine down a XJ hub (definitely not worth that). You might check into JK unit bearings, they are 5x5".

Shouldn't have said "hub", the knuckle is different on a XJ.

Right, the knuckle is thicker on the xj so when swapping to the wj knuckle you have to add a spacer. Does that mean the hub is the same size? Maybe I can just go to the store with a caliper and check the hubs...

BTW, is there a reason for wanting to change out all your tires and wheels?

I did the opposite when I installed my Yukon shafts, I wanted to keep my Rubi rims!
P1080569_zpsdib4k3dm.jpg

BTW, is there a reason for wanting to change out all your tires and wheels?

I did the opposite when I installed my Yukon shafts, I wanted to keep my Rubi rims!

He's not changing out his wheels and tires. He's already running 5x5 wheels on adapters. He wants to get rid of the adapters.

Right, these are 5x5, I just want to eliminate the spacers on the front. I'll do the rear too just to make it easier but the front is the question.
ab96f847dfa7879470433edcbc039560.jpg
152acced013e65284173ef12e14a8f75.jpg

I just watched a video on the swap... Can I just use a wj hub? It looks like it's the same bolt pattern and size. I see there is a spacer needed for the swap but is that because the hub is different or because the wj knuckle is not as deep as the xj?

Thanks guys!

Yes, I did this swap. You will still need the 1/4 weld on spacer. Also 1/4 spacers on the calipers. I did this as I had too use spacers for the rims I was using, Canyons. You need the spacer to keep the axis of the axel shaft joint with the ball joints. If not, the shaft dose not stay centered to the axis of the housing. This bears against some seals in a turn. Then you get leaks. Also, the end of that shaft can bind. I did try not to use the spacer. Just did a 'mock up', or try install. I did not run it.
On the rear I still use a spacer/adapter. I do have the Super 8.8 upgrade axel kit, waiting to be installed. I plan to install WJ rear brakes, no spacers.

Keep the backspacing on your 5x5 rims in account as well. Most of the OEM Wrangler wheels tuck in quite a bit.

I'm running JL Rubi take-offs with a Ford 8.8" in the rear, and if I swapped the shafts to 5x5 I'd likely have a clearance issue with the leaves due to the narrower axle.

No sense in avoiding the adapter if you're going to need a wheel spacer once you're done anyway to get the width you want or need.

Keep the backspacing on your 5x5 rims in account as well. Most of the OEM Wrangler wheels tuck in quite a bit.

I'm running JL Rubi take-offs with a Ford 8.8" in the rear, and if I swapped the shafts to 5x5 I'd likely have a clearance issue with the leaves due to the narrower axle.

No sense in avoiding the adapter if you're going to need a wheel spacer once you're done anyway to get the width you want or need.

I believe the Ford 8.8 is 1.5 narrower. So, .75 per side. The Super 8.8 kits space them out 1.0 per side, I think. Still, it is something to keep in mind. I had an issue with the 8.8 and the rims I was running with 4.5 diameter. The spacers I had bought, were needed up front. So, the rear swaybar was taken off. I did get another set of spacers.
I will be putting an 8.8 on another XJ. It will be 5 on 4.5. I will be spacing out 19mm and using extended studs. I feel safer with that than bolt on spacers.

Back