• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What do I need to participate on a trail run?

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
In order to participate on this (and any other) NAXJA event you must follow the below:

Minimum Equipment Requirements
1: Visibly charged fire extinguisher (BC or ABC type)
2: First Aid Kit
3: Adequate spare tire, jack, and lug wrench*.
4: Safety belts for driver and all passengers.
5: Adequate tow points. Must be of OEM or greater integrity (no three bolt brackets), d-rings, shackles, etc are all good as long as the hook or bumper brackets meet or exceed the OEM kit. Welded tow hooks are never allowed.
6: Snatch strap without metal hooks.
7: Battery must be properly secured.

*Notes*
Rules 3 and 5 may be waived at trail leaders discretion.

Safety Rules
Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol is not permitted.
Safety belt use is mandatory.
Pets should be well-behaved or secured.
Do not exceed the maximum speed limit on all roads, public or private.

Suggested Equipment
In addition to the above list of required equipment the following equipment is highly recommended.
CB Radio
Extra food & water
Flashlights
Blanket or sleeping bag

These lists may be modified as event staff see fit, notice will be given in this forum if needed.

Also be advised that snow is still a possibility April. This event will be held regardless of weather. If snow conditions are present the CHP may require snow chains to access mountain roads; don't get turned around halfway to the event, plan ahead.

Quick suggested recovery bag contents:
2 30' straps
2 3/4" D-Rings
1 10' tree saver (even if you don't have a winch)
Snatch Block if you have a winch
Work gloves
Ratchet straps
Hi-Lift
Quality beer for Sequoia at Camp
Hi-Lift Fix it Kit
PB Blaster for sticky Hi-Lifts
Hammer
More Work Gloves
Jacket or sweater for winch lines
Tire inflation tool (CO2, compressor, etc)

If you have questions feel free to ask in this thread. Be advised that off-topic comments may be moderated a bit more heavily than usual.

I have two stock tow hooks in the front, do those work as tow points or is there something better I could get to replace them?

Thanks,
Eric

Sounds great, thanks. They aren't attached to the bumper.

I have two stock tow hooks in the front, do those work as tow points or is there something better I could get to replace them?

Thanks,
Eric

The factory tow hooks (bolt to a bracket under the bumper) are just fine. That plus a rear receiver or the rare factory rear tow hook and you're good to go.

Also for the record a front receiver is a valid tow point as well.

What about front tow hooks only? Planning only on stocker / bunny run..

What about front tow hooks only? Planning only on stocker / bunny run..

I think it depends on the leader. But FWIW, I did not have a hitch or rear tow point a couple years ago for the stock-ish run.

Omg. Breaking the rules. Ban Him.

lol. I did a stocker run too with just lots of skinny pedal, and may not have had a tow point. I don't remember.

Omg. Breaking the rules. Ban Him.

lol. I did a stocker run too with just lots of skinny pedal, and may not have had a tow point. I don't remember.

You're talking about last year in your tundra, correct?
The stocker run I'm talking about was in BB, and less intense than calico.
Not that I have to prove myself, but I asked before doing so. So there! Ha.

Back