• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear End Clunk over bumps. Coming from hub?

thepdk

NAXJA Forum User
I developed a rear end clunk over bumps. I can replicate this noise by shaking the jeep side to side. I had a buddy do this and I went underneath to find the noise. Grabbing all suspect comments the clunk was coming from the drum. I could see the drum moving slightly from the hub. I re torqued all the lugs (which were fine) and same noise.

I can also grab the top of the wheel and push and pull it back and forth and get the same clunk, both rear wheels can get this noise.

Lets assume all suspension comments are in good order, which i believe they are and the noise is coming from the axle. What is usually the culprit for this?

Chrysler 8.25 open diff.

Axle end-play.

When I did my disc brake conversion I ended up shimming my axles which really helped reduce pedal travel.

Clunking due to axle shaft endplay is somewhat common, and if the outer axle bearing are not failed, it is not really a problem that needs to be fixed.

It's not a problem with drum brakes, but it can be annoying.

1/16" in-out end play seems pretty normal for c-clips, and the brake drum really magnifies the sound. Keep looking, this probably isn't the source of your clunk. Bad shocks, sloppy sway bar bushings, that lead pipe rolling around under the back seat, etc.

The shims have to go under the c-clips.

My bushes appeared to be totally fine, but sounded like I left the tailgate open when going over bumps!
A bent housing can allow the tyre to quickly retract to its bent alignment whilst the load is talen off after going over a decent pot hole etc, the when the load is is put back on the tyre it will squat back to dragged position. This can unsettle the leaf springs etc briefly.
How is your rear tyre wear?
Best indicator.

Back