• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adopt-A-Trail Workdays - Oct. 8 & 9

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
SATURDAY, October 8 - 2N04 Maintenance
Meet Point 10:00
AM Big Bear Discovery Center
The main focus for Saturday is general maintenance and a search and destroy of any illegal fire rings.

Saturday's leader will be Tim in his brown MJ. Say hi, Tim!

SATURDAY NIGHT CAMPING
Volunteers for either or both days are welcome to camp with us on at the North Shore Work Center. Please RSVP for camping so I am expecting your arrival as we are behind a locked gate. North Shore Work Center has flush toilets, showers, and flat camping.

SUNDAY, October 9 - 2N49 Maintenance
Meet Point 1: 9:00 AM North Shore Work Center.
Meet Point 2: 10:00 AM 2N49 North End (Near Lake Silverwood)
Sunday's focus will also be general maintenance and fire ring search and destroy.

COMMUNICATIONS
CB Radio: The fours. We'll start on 4, if busy we'll bump up to 14, 24, or 34.
2m: 146.585 Simplex

What do I need?
Any vehicle that can do a USFS-rated moderate trail (Stock XJ, okay). 2WD XJ is normally acceptable with front tow points.

Bring gloves, a hat, and loppers. Please bring light long sleeve shirts for brush work. Closed toe shoes mandatory. Hard hats may be available but if you have your own please bring it. In tick-areas it is best to cover as much skin as possible.

Please RSVP if you plan to attend so we can plan. Please state which days you will be doing the maintenance, whether you are camping, and which meeting point you plan to use for Sunday. Depending on participation levels I may provide lunch one or both days.

Remember folks, you can always come out and work with us on one day and go wheeling the next. You're not committed to working both days if you don't want to.

Thank you for your time, it is appreciated.

Thanks

I'm afraid I can't this time, I have to be local to L.A. the following weekend in case an emergency power test goes bad at work then after that it's off to DC and NYC. Keep an eye out for November :cheers:

October is looking to be a busy month for the Jeep(s). I'm not going to have much time for Web wheeling.

Put me down for Sunday. I have to pick Lorrie up at the PS airport Saturday and I might be stretching it a bit time wise.

Last edited:
I have to pick Lorrie up at the PS airport Saturday

She got her weekends mixed up so I'll be there both days and camping Saturday night.

SATURDAY, October 8 - 2N04 Maintenance
Meet Point 10:00
AM Big Bear Discovery Center
The main focus for Saturday is general maintenance and a search and destroy of any illegal fire rings.

Saturday's leader will be Tim in his brown MJ. Say hi, Tim!

Hi Tim!

I don't have a radio in the truck so if you need to get ahold of me you'll have to call or text. 9O9=six 33=eight six O5. I expect we'll be leaving the Discovery Center by 10:20 - 10:30.

So far it sounds like Nimrod and myself; anyone else? :wave:

I'll be up there Saturday afternoon or evening. I just have a couple of minor details to work out in the Jeep today that might bleed into tomorrow after the kids swim lessons.

i.php

I'll have my HAM radio with me and will text Tim so that he'll have my cell number.

Speaking of ham, unless The Jeep overheats driving up the mountain or I run into some other issue, I plan to be in Big Bear early enough to grab breakfast at the Grizzly Manor Cafe before heading over to the Discovery Center, which I just mention in case anyone is inclined to join me.

BTW, I don't have any loppers or other trail maintenance tools. I'll bring gloves and a can-do attitude.

Back