• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adopt-A-Trail Workdays - June 6 - 7

Thanks to those that came out and made this happen. We cleared a lot of brush off of 2N49 and 2N49C. Tom, you're not the only one moving slow today, I'm sore from swinging that hedger around (and attempting to warm-start it).

In all we put in 227 combined hours over the weekend. I have a few photos that I'll post eventually but for now we'll get Saturday's group shot at the now open James' Gate.

20150608113349-8f8cf517-la.jpg

For reference this is what it looked like when we first adopted 2N49. We had to clear brush in order to even see the gate.
20130519_2N49_Run_-_14-la.jpg

Thanks again, folks. I had a great time. Keep an eye out here for the next work day/weekend. If you haven't come out to AAT before please do so.

This weekend we had a good example of why you weight the cable when winching. This strap broke when I was pulling with all the power my winch would give me (the Jeep was actually creeping forward with all four wheels locked). The winch is rated at 8000 pounds and was rigged through a snatch block to the Jeep. This rigging gives a 2:1 mechanical advantage so, in theory, this was a 16,000 pound pull (heavy tree!).

When the 20,000 pound strap broke, as expected, the steel winch line, snatch block, shackle, and cable rebounded back toward the Jeep with *deadly* force. Once they hit the winch line weight, a simple NAXJA jacket, the load simply stopped and dropped to the ground.

I've always known to weight winch lines but this is the first time I've seen such a clear example of it working with something as simple as a normal jacket.

Just showed that to The Varmints so they can see why I won't let them walk by the cable under tension.

Thank you for posting that.

Back