• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

epoxy paint

cjovertj

NAXJA Forum User
got my jcr bumper the other day and i decided to paint it w/ some epoxy paint because i want something durable, i found some at the hardware store and was reading the back of the can it said it was for indoors only and if used outside it will cause chalking.

i was wondering if anyone has had a problem w/ this or is there another type of epoxy paint meant for outdoors? if the paint can last for a couple years at least w/out "chalking" i will go ahead and use it but otherwise i will use something else.

bed liner is awesome, if you like the look. mine chalked up after about 4 months. however is you spray undercoating on it (less aggressive texture) and spray it with some heavy duty enamel and then clear coat it it will work awesome and hold up. undercoating is virtually impossible to remove.

rehab said:
bed liner is awesome, if you like the look. mine chalked up after about 4 months. however is you spray undercoating on it (less aggressive texture) and spray it with some heavy duty enamel and then clear coat it it will work awesome and hold up. undercoating is virtually impossible to remove.

ya the thing w/ the bedliner is that personally i dont like the looks of bedliner on bumpers.

i thought about clear over top of the epoxy paint but i was wondering if i could get away w/out it because all those cans of paint start to add up, especially since my boss said he could probably have it powdercoated for only like 40-50 bucks, but im going to have to wait who knows how long so the epoxy paint is most likely be temperary, but maybe not

I used Krylon Rust Tough enamal on ym sliders and diff gaurds been on almost a year and no problems. Stay nice and no rust.
http://www.krylon.com/main/product_...lid=13&productid=1790&content=product_details
rust_tough_enamel.jpg

are you supposed to prime w/ the rustoleum hammered, another nice thing about the epoxy paint is that you have to do minimal prep work and you don't primer beforehand

cjovertj said:
are you supposed to prime w/ the rustoleum hammered, another nice thing about the epoxy paint is that you have to do minimal prep work and you don't primer beforehand
No, use a metal etching primer and then top coat with the Hammered - two should do you fine with each. Mine's held up just fine and it's taken its hits. Just give it a touch up spray to scratches and you're good to go.

Starscream918 said:
No, use a metal etching primer and then top coat with the Hammered - two should do you fine with each. Mine's held up just fine and it's taken its hits. Just give it a touch up spray to scratches and you're good to go.

dont want to sound like a jerk but the answer would be yes then i do have to primer

I use the epoxy paint all the time and it takes about 5 years to chalk up on red and black seems to go well past that. A good wax helps a lot on keeping it from chalking up but we run cranes so who the hell wants to wax that big ass thing

I bought some John Deer Paint. It was pricey but its held up great for 2 years now. Only chips are from me running it into stuff.

Thanks for all the input but i just got offered a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better deal than the rattle can epoxy paint.

I was talking to my uncle-the farmer- and he said that tomorrow he was going to get some epoxy paint for his semi frame and he could paint my bumper w/ the extra if i wanted. i immediately said yes and was curious about the paint. he told me it was a 3 part spray gun job.
first some sort of prep/primer coat, then the epoxy, then the activator.
He said he painted a hay wagon w/ it a few years ago and was amazed at the durability.

he told me the paint was a 100 bucks a gallon just for the epoxy part and that doesn't include the prep coat or the activator

i had to make a decision: a $10 rattle can job that costs $10 and i would have to do myself or a nice spray gun job using $100+/gallon paint that cost me nothing and would be done for me, by some one who paints show trucks

cjovertj said:
Thanks for all the input but i just got offered a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better deal than the rattle can epoxy paint.

I was talking to my uncle-the farmer- and he said that tomorrow he was going to get some epoxy paint for his semi frame and he could paint my bumper w/ the extra if i wanted. i immediately said yes and was curious about the paint. he told me it was a 3 part spray gun job.
first some sort of prep/primer coat, then the epoxy, then the activator.
He said he painted a hay wagon w/ it a few years ago and was amazed at the durability.

he told me the paint was a 100 bucks a gallon just for the epoxy part and that doesn't include the prep coat or the activator

i had to make a decision: a $10 rattle can job that costs $10 and i would have to do myself or a nice spray gun job using $100+/gallon paint that cost me nothing and would be done for me, by some one who paints show trucks

what do you think i chose

Back