• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Couple Questions

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
At the junkyard today I found this 87 Chief with the 'off-road' package so it has full skid plates, the factory spare tire carrier and a Dana 44 rear end. They told me for the skids, the tire carrier and the rear end it'll cost me $100 so I'm definately going for it.

First off, is the D35/D44 gearing swappable? I dunno what the D44 is geared at so I guess if the gears aren't swappable I'll just take the front gears too.

For the swing tire carrier somebody nabbed the bumper but the tire carrier frame, the tailgate bumpstop and the body mount are still there so what do I need to put it on my XJ? What does it latch to?

Thirdly since it's got full skids what should it have? The steering skid, X-Fer case and gas tank, right?

This is all going into a 90 XJ

44 and 35 r&p are not inerchangable.
Dunno about the rest.

Doing some research and there should be a bracket on the donor vehicle that the tire rack locks into on the tailgate but it ain't there and as for the bracket in the bumper can I fab my own bracket or is the whole bumper re-inforced?

what motor?

be careful, those tire carriers will break with even a 32'' tire. is the tag on the pumpkin clean enough to read

skyjackedxj96 said:
what motor?

be careful, those tire carriers will break with even a 32'' tire. is the tag on the pumpkin clean enough to read
No tag on pumkin, 4.0L motor BUT I know the shape of that rear end and I had my XJ side by side to compare, it sure as hell ain't a D35, and if it ain't a D44 then I dunno...

Most 4.0L XJ"S have either 3.55 or 3.07 gears. You might not need the front axle. $100 for all of those parts is a screaming good deal, don't pass it up.

Axles
Front Axles
Dana 30 high pinion - reverse cut - 27 spline, 1.16" diameter shafts, 7.13" ring gear - used 84-99 (some axles through 91 are vacuum disconnect, 92+ are non-disconnect, 89-95 with ABS have 5-297x u-joints, all 95+ have 5-297x u-joints, all others have 5-260x u-joints)
Dana 30 low pinion - standard cut - 27 spline, 1.16" diameter shafts, 7.13" ring gear, 5-297x u-joints - used 00-01

Rear Axles
(Note on Dana 35 axles sometimes referred to as Dana 35C - The "C" does not stand for c-clip. It stands for "custom" meaning it came from Dana unfinished.) (Note on 8.25 axles - none of these axles were used on XJs with ABS brakes. If you have ABS, you have the Dana 35. Without ABS you could have either axle. 8.25 axles are c-clip)

Dana 35 non c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube - used 84-89
Dana 35 c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube - used 90-01
Chrysler 8.25 - 27 spline, 1.17" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 91-96
Chrysler 8.25 - 29 spline, 1.21" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 97-01
Dana 44 non c-clip - 30 spline, 1.31" diameter shafts, 8.5" ring gear, 2.75" axle tube - used 87-89 on some(not all) XJs equipped with towing package.

Gearing
3.07 - used with 4.0L engine / manual transmission
3.31 - only available on older (pre87?) 2 door XJs with "Fuel Economy" package
3.55 - used with 4.0L engine / automatic transmission
3.73 - found in some XJs with the towing package
4.10 - used with 2.5L engine usually, and older XJs with the "Off-Highway Vehicle" package.
4.56 - rare but can be found on some older (~ 89 ~) models with 2.5L engine and auto transmission

XJ Dana 44
standard.jpg

Thanks Tim, that's definately the axle

The XJ I'm taking this off of should definately be an 87 because that was the last year for Chiefs, right? So gearing should be 3.55, 3.73, or if I get real lucky 4.10...Kinda sucks because my XJ has 4.10's now, oh well

falcon556 said:
Is that all there is?
How about width?
It can't be that hard to get rid of the coil mounts and weld the XJ style.
Not sure what else is different but I believe alot of the front suspension things will swap right over so maybe the width is the same, I dunno

Zoro said:
Not sure what else is different but I believe alot of the front suspension things will swap right over so maybe the width is the same, I dunno

I see people that can modify anything to fit their needs, stay away from the TJ Dana 44.
To me it can only mean one thing, it can't be done. Still don't know why.
Must be the width.

Tally_XJ said:
The TJ D44 isnt a real D44 from what I have read. Its basically a D44 carrier/r&p with D35 tubes and is not as strong as a real D44
I've heard that too.

Anybody with the factory spare tire rack wanna chime in?

Tally_XJ said:
The TJ D44 isnt a real D44 from what I have read. Its basically a D44 carrier/r&p with D35 tubes and is not as strong as a real D44
Thanks for the info, that must be the reason.

Back