• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 disk brake conversion: brake line questions

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, how did you do it? Seems that there are couple different ways to go (this is one).
Anyways I'm assembling parts (pulled the crown vic brakes today) and at this point I just need stuff for the soft line install. Once I Have that all figured out conceptually and the parts in hand, all that would be left is to bolt it all up (probably within next two weeks).

Crap, I never took those pics for ya, did I...

I'm not used to not having my XJ at home here. Since it's not insured it stays over at my buddy's garage now. If I make it over there tomorrow I'll bring my camera along for sure. Sorry about that.

For now I'll describe in better detail what I did. I used the stock distribution block on the axle, and also the stock soft lines for the crown vic rear calipers. The soft lines have a little tab on them where they were bolted to the frame in the crown vic. First I lined up the soft line to where it would approximately meet the factory D44 hardline, then chopped and re-flared the hardline with the proper fitting to match the crown vic soft line. At the point where they meet, I welded a bolt to the axle tube to mount that little tab on the soft line to hold everything in place. I did this on both sides.

Like I mentioned, I did it with the softline coming out of the top of the caliper in order to not have them hang down below the axle. This makes bleeding rather a pain, but the piece of mind was worth it to me.

vetteboy said:
Crap, I never took those pics for ya, did I...

I'm not used to not having my XJ at home here. Since it's not insured it stays over at my buddy's garage now. If I make it over there tomorrow I'll bring my camera along for sure. Sorry about that.

For now I'll describe in better detail what I did. I used the stock distribution block on the axle, and also the stock soft lines for the crown vic rear calipers. The soft lines have a little tab on them where they were bolted to the frame in the crown vic. First I lined up the soft line to where it would approximately meet the factory D44 hardline, then chopped and re-flared the hardline with the proper fitting to match the crown vic soft line. At the point where they meet, I welded a bolt to the axle tube to mount that little tab on the soft line to hold everything in place. I did this on both sides.
That's one of the options I am considering after I looked at the brakes first hand.
Like I mentioned, I did it with the softline coming out of the top of the caliper in order to not have them hang down below the axle. This makes bleeding rather a pain, but the piece of mind was worth it to me.
I am still trying to visualize a better way to do it :D I'm hoping that there might be a better solution ;) but I am leaving it as a fallback.

No worries about the pics :) I'm not in that big of a hurry (yet :D)

Back