• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why not run 4.2 oil filter mounting style on 4.0L?

Bender

NAXJA Forum User
After looking at a 4.2L in my garage I noticed it takes the same oil filter as the 4.0L but it is pointed downwards as opposed to the 4.0L's which points up. Turns out the 4.0L has an extra adapter to point the filter up.

Any ideas why they made this change?
Has anyone ran the 4.2L style on a 4.0L?

The nice thing with the 4.2L style is that oil won't pour out of the filter when you remove it as it is already upside down.

Thanks

I believe with the filter mounted directly to the block, as on the 4.2L, the filter can is an interference fit with the frame rail or motor mount.

AMC had the filter mounted directly to the block since 1964. They would not have suddenly started using an adapter if they didn't need one (IMHO).

one is standard treads and the other is metric I think. they look very similar.

Eagle is correct, the filter of the 4.2 mounts directly to the block...and the filter number is the same as the non-HO 4.0L motor.

Since both my motors are currently on engine stands I am not sure of frame clearances so perhaps that is the reason.

massxj said:
all i know is the filter upsidedown make a big mess when you change it

OIL EVERYWHERE ! Thats why I remoted it..... It sits right side up no spillage
and I can just reach in spin it off & on with the new.... eeeeeasy!
See Ya !
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Xtreme XJ said:
OIL EVERYWHERE ! Thats why I remoted it..... It sits right side up no spillage
and I can just reach in spin it off & on with the new.... eeeeeasy!
See Ya !
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

do you have any more info pics thanks

massxj said:

Well considering I'm computer illiterate & have no dig. camera.... I don't have any to show. I do have a friend who might be able to help.
A discription is... I have a 96, the mount is behind the A/C comp. back near the overflow tank. I used the 2 rear A/C bolts for the front part of the mount & the upper shock stud as a rear point. The bracket goes from the rear of the A/C comp. angles towards the front of the overflow tank then paralel to the overflow tank then angles down to the upper shock mount. The filter is inboard of the bracket basicly above the motor mount.
The 2 "issues" I have (if any) are #1 the bracket is mounted to both the motor & the body....theres really very little flex but something I'll need to keep an eye on, #2 the fliter is now higher about head level & I'm not sure if there is a concern for drain back, but when I start the pressure pops up quite quickly. I also run coolers for the A.T. & engine oil so it leaves the block into the filter then the cooler & back to the block. I used Perma-Cool stuff.
I'll try to hook up with my camera buddy & get picts. for you & E-mail'em
to you in afew days. Sorry for the length...
See Ya!
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

I don't have a 4.2 to look at to see exactly what you're talking about, but what I'd like to do is make it so that I can remove the filter from underneath the Jeep. Right now the starter is in the way. The reason is simple. I'm in a wheelchair and can't reach the filter from the top and since I was once a certified mechanic it seems kinda' crazy to pay someone else to change my oil if I don't have to.

massxj said:
all i know is the filter upsidedown make a big mess when you change it
naw, you just have to wait 30 to 45 min for all the oil to drain out, good excuse to get another beer.

I think running a remote mount with 2 filters, oil cooler, and mounted conveinietly would be sweet.

XJNASH said:
one is standard treads and the other is metric I think. they look very similar.

That's just the threaded post. On the XJ it screws into the adapter, on the older engines it screws into the block. You can change the metric post to an SAE thread, and vice versa

XJWheelie said:
I don't have a 4.2 to look at to see exactly what you're talking about, but what I'd like to do is make it so that I can remove the filter from underneath the Jeep. Right now the starter is in the way. The reason is simple. I'm in a wheelchair and can't reach the filter from the top and since I was once a certified mechanic it seems kinda' crazy to pay someone else to change my oil if I don't have to.

Even if it will clear the frame w/o the adapter (which I doubt, but I'll take a look when the snow melts), the filter would still be hanging off the block in the same location ... above and slightly ahead of the starter, and right above the axle and motor mount.

You need a remote filter adapter such as described in this thread, but you would want it mounted down low somewhere. It's tight in there, but there must be somewhere that you can mount the filter where it'll be relatively safe from rocks but accessible from underneath.

Eagle said:
You need a remote filter adapter such as described in this thread, but you would want it mounted down low somewhere. It's tight in there, but there must be somewhere that you can mount the filter where it'll be relatively safe from rocks but accessible from underneath.

Do you know who makes a remote filter adapter or where someone can buy one?

XJWheelie said:
You might want to pop a message to "old_man" the CO NAXJA Prez...he runs a (Framp?) remote filter with toilet paper filter media in his FrankenJeep. His is mounted off the front passenger side of the firewall and is easily accessible from there but I bet it could be mounted in other accessible places for you.

massxj said:

Hey Massxj bear with me I got some picts. today but need to burn somemore film so my friend can scan them.

XJ Wheelie you might try to make up some type of a mount (vertical) down low on the firewall.... still above the starter but vertical....maybe? I wanted access from above & didn't know what I'd be drilling into if theres even enough room.

Karstic about any of the speed shops will have remote kits. Perma-Cool, Trans-Dapt or several others. The way I see it theres not much room for one filter so a dual would be tight. One thing that I didn't like is the "in & out" ports were "backwards" from what I would of liked, they kinda cross as opposed to in one side & out the other, something to think about when mounting, I could of used the AN type of fittings but I need to put my hands on stuff to figure out what I need.
Hopefully the picts. will be available soon....
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Back