• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

couple of questions

family XJ

NAXJA Forum User
First is pertaining to my brothers 89 w/4.0 and 120k miles. It sat for over a year and now smokes really bad. My thought is that the valves are gummed up and not open/closing properly. Should we take off the valve cover and clean it with degreaser then change the fluid or add 1 qt of ATF then run it get it hot and change the oil. Suggestion for this one. He is killing people when he takes off at the stop lights.

Second. On the water pump can I just use RTV or do I really need a gasket. My water pump is squealing really bad and my wife is embarrassed. It works fine just makes a ton of noise. I want to change it and make it quite again.

Thanks for the help Doug

Second. On the water pump can I just use RTV or do I really need a gasket. My water pump is squealing really bad and my wife is embarrassed. It works fine just makes a ton of noise. I want to change it and make it quite again.

Thanks for the help Doug

I would just use the provided gasket with the new pump. Since the cooling system is pressurised and all. IMHO

Ecarlcl

Doug, that's probably a piston ring sticking rather than valves. You might try a can of Marvel Mystery Oil in the crankcase. It's good for freeing up stuck rings and such. Some old timers even use kerosene for this. Be sure to change the oil afterwards.

I too would use a gasket on the water pump.

Definitely use the gasket with the water pump! That's part of the operating clearance for the impeller, you know...

Also, if a vehicle has sat for some time before being run, and starts to smoke, there are two probable causes...

1) Oil control ring is crapped up - Marvel Mystery Oil is probably best for this, with Diesel, kerosene, or Type F transmission fluid tied for second (IIRC, Type F has more detergents in it than Dexron...)

2) Valve guide seals have dried up. If this is so, they will probably need to be changed (it's rare that they can be reconditioned that far, but feel free to try.) The valve guide seals are rubber wipers that keep the oil from dripping down the valve stems and into the combustion chamber.

Either way, a rebuild is not likely to be needed.

5-90

Back