• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 transmission rebuild or swap

Alwaysdutch

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I am new to the NAXJA forum and hope to get some help. I am an XJ owner since earlier this year. i wanted one for a long time and finally got an orange 2001 4x2.

Two months ago we heard squeeling from the transmission when downshifting and once we parked it on the driveway, it got stuck in a gear and has been sitting still since that day.

I consider myself a pretty handy guy (swapped some motors and transmissions, etc), so I pulled the trans pan and found some pretty big pieces of metal and interesting enough gear oil rather than auto trans fluid. I am not sure if that has to do with the problem, but I am thinking to pull the transmission and get another one.

Here comes my question; is it safe to buy a used transmission with about 150,000 miles on it, or shall I tryo to rebuild it first? If I do the last one, I find only rebuild kits that has the rings and such, but given the pieces of metal, I wonder if larger parts need replacement.

What would be the best option here? I found many transmissions for about $500 and if I would replace solenoids and such, I might have a good transmissions again. This XJ belongs on the road and I have big plans for this Jeep.

Many thanks and I hope to be posting pics of this Jeep soon!

I'd think you can find AW4 transmissions for less than $500. They are one of the most reliable transmissions ever made so I'd expect the junkyards have plenty of them because of low demand. Heck, there are people on here that at one time or another bought spares they thought they'd need, didn't, and then had trouble selling them because nobody needed them. I'd swap before I tried to rebuild but I live in Colorado where the Jeep Cherokee and Subaru Outback are on every street corner and parts are plentiful.

If you can find a used transmission for cheap, I would probably go that way first. Most 2wd Cherokees have been used as commuter vehicles so they haven't been subjected to some type of off road abuse. Just be sure to inspect the fluid condition to help identify it's condition.

I got my AW4 from a member over at Jeep Forum...free. 12,000 miles ago. Can't say you'll get a deal like that but $300 seems to be the usual price on CL around here.

Finding a 4X2 one may be a little harder, but easier to install. If you swap in a different year/era...KEEP your original TCU. Getting a close to what you have year is the best idea.

Thanks for the replies. I have found several transmissions (most of them are 4x4), but my understanding is that you can swap the rear portion out.

In the Atlanta area it looks that I will have to spend a little more than $300 for a replacement. but if someone has a good one for sale, feel free to PM me.

To swap the rear portion, how have to also completely disassemble the transmission to switch the output shafts as they are not the same. Keep searching for a 2wd trans.

if you are entertaining the thought of a 4wd swap (which is pretty easy) you might want to think about swapping in a 4wd trans and t/case and just leave it in 2HI and you will literally never know the difference.
my wife drives a 2WD WJ with a weak trans and if the tranny goes bad before i get all my 4WD parts together i just might make that swap to get it back on the road.
cheaper than looking for a 2WD trany.
if you had gear oil in your AW4 i'm thinkin a previous owner put it there to hide some issues when they sold it to you. large chunks of metal are a bad thing and you're beter off just swapping the unit. but i'd keep the old one and rip it apart afterward just to see what went bad.

If you can find the right price on a trans/t-case, minus the rear driveshaft length, it should be plug n play.

Well, I did buy a 4wd transmission with 96K miles in the hope I can make a swap. We will see what hurtles I will have. I wanted to get something with lower miles and around my area they all had 175K or more on it and still wanted $500+, so I ordered one from another state.

I know there will be some challenges but hey, Jeep owners will stand for a challenge, right? It's not running now so maybe if goes right, I can make a nice little write up on this.

I am sure I will be posting questions on here, so any help is appreciated.

Did you get trans only, or trans/t-case combo? Depending on year of trans will depend on what what t-case you need if you do not already have one.

I just got the transmission, which came out of a 2001 (same as my XJ). I am trying to keep everything around 2000, 2001 in the hope that the changes are minimal.

My understanding is that the spline count is different, so now it has become a project for sure as I need to figure out what all I need to make it a 4x4.

I am hopeful that everything else can be bought at the local JY.

Has anyone done this before or does anyone know what all is needed?

Short list (some other minor things may be necessary)
Transfercase (try finding one from 00-01, as they are total plug n pray earlier may have different sensors)
D30 (or other I guess) front axle,Recommend a D30HP, non disconnect. 00-up had Low pinion you do not want that.
4WD front/rear drive shafts
Tcase shift linkage ( I recommend the boostwerks one, stronger and way less complex than factory )
Tcase lever

Maybe lift and aftermarket control arms?

IIRC, TCU was the same for all autos. But someone with a newer XJ can correct me if I am wrong.
Some say that the 231 is stronger. If you live where it snows or rains alot and want the ability to use Full-time 4wd on the pavement, then a 242 will be better for you. The 231 only offers part time 4wd.

Back