NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old October 30th, 2009, 12:30
NAXJA Forum User

Overheating Issues

Ok, I had a guy help me replace the head gasket on my 1990 Cherokee. We took the head it had it pressure tested and magnafluxed- all good. We finally finished yesterday and it is still overheating. It only idles for about 5-8 minutes before it passes 210 and keeps climbing until I shut it off around 250. No water in the oil or anything.

I've replaced the water pump and the thermostat (which there wasnt a t-stat in there when I opened it up. Previous owner must have removed it) and now have done the head work. What else could it be? I have no radiator cap- it's the pressurized system with the fill tank.

Also, even when it is running, that top hose feels empty, like no coolant is passing through it. Does that sound like my radiator might be bad? Or the heater control valve? Bad water pump?

If it is the radiator, I've seen some on here suggest going to the open system instead of the closed system I have now. How big of a deal it that to change?

Last edited by cb3725; October 30th, 2009 at 12:41.
Old October 30th, 2009, 14:28
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Overheating Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb3725 View Post
Ok, I had a guy help me replace the head gasket on my 1990 Cherokee. We took the head it had it pressure tested and magnafluxed- all good. We finally finished yesterday and it is still overheating. It only idles for about 5-8 minutes before it passes 210 and keeps climbing until I shut it off around 250. No water in the oil or anything.

I've replaced the water pump and the thermostat (which there wasnt a t-stat in there when I opened it up. Previous owner must have removed it) and now have done the head work. What else could it be? I have no radiator cap- it's the pressurized system with the fill tank.

Also, even when it is running, that top hose feels empty, like no coolant is passing through it. Does that sound like my radiator might be bad? Or the heater control valve? Bad water pump?

If it is the radiator, I've seen some on here suggest going to the open system instead of the closed system I have now. How big of a deal it that to change?
You probably have air trapped in the system--closed systems are notorious for this.

BEST BET: Remove the thermostat and drill two small holes in the flange, far enough in from the outer edge so that when reinstalled the two holes will not be covered, placing the thermostat so that the holes are located at 12 and 6 o'clock. Fill the system. Park with a nose-down attitude, pull the temp gauge sender at the DS rear of the head, and then add coolant to the pressure bottle until all the air is out of the system. Reinstall the sender and test.
Old October 31st, 2009, 04:52
NAXJA Forum User

Trapped air in the system will keep the coolant from flowing? I will give this a try on Tuesday- first chance I have to work on it again!
Thanks
Old November 1st, 2009, 08:25
NAXJA Forum User

Make sure there are no cracks in the coolant tank, and the cap fits on tight. I went through this same problem after replacing the tank and cap, only to find the new cap was bad. Put my old cap on, and all is good! The upper hose should be hot, and hard (pressurized) after a few minutes of running.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 09:42
NAXJA Forum User

I put a 1992 thermo housing with a sensor hole on my '90. I used a pipe bushing and pipe plug as a bleeder. works perfectly, cost $25. Just fill your system with the pipe plug out until you have coolant running out of the hole in the pipe bushing, then plug it. Also, drill the holes in the thermostat. No probs after that.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:40
NAXJA Forum User

Did you use the correct direction water pump ? Next, how did you set your belt tension ?
Most who set it by hand set it to under 100lbs when it should be 170lbs for a used belt and 190lbs for a new belt.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:51
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP View Post
Did you use the correct direction water pump ? Next, how did you set your belt tension ?
Most who set it by hand set it to under 100lbs when it should be 170lbs for a used belt and 190lbs for a new belt.
How can I tell if I have the right direction water pump? I dont have the original anymore to compare and just took the one the tech gave me from Advance Auto.
As for the belt, I did put it back on by hand and just tightened up the adjustment bolt until the belt wouldn't rotate more than about a quarter turn if you tried to twist it. I'm really not too sure how that goes in lbs though.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 14:27
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
How can I tell if I have the right direction water pump? I dont have the original anymore to compare and just took the one the tech gave me from Advance Auto.
As for the belt, I did put it back on by hand and just tightened up the adjustment bolt until the belt wouldn't rotate more than about a quarter turn if you tried to twist it. I'm really not too sure how that goes in lbs though.
Quarter turn, you are around 60-80lbs, I actually have tested this with a krikit II tension gauge when this came up several times before. As for the correct pump, there should be an R either on the housing or on the impeller itself. Or take the part number to advance and pull another one and look.
Bleeding the system too is very important as well as the holes in the thermostat.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 15:53
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_peters View Post
You probably have air trapped in the system--closed systems are notorious for this.

BEST BET: Remove the thermostat and drill two small holes in the flange, far enough in from the outer edge so that when reinstalled the two holes will not be covered, placing the thermostat so that the holes are located at 12 and 6 o'clock. Fill the system. Park with a nose-down attitude, pull the temp gauge sender at the DS rear of the head, and then add coolant to the pressure bottle until all the air is out of the system. Reinstall the sender and test.
That was it. Bled the air out today and the temp is back to normal. Thanks!
Old February 10th, 2010, 07:29
NAXJA Forum User

Quick follow up question, now that it is all back together and running smooth, there is a big difference in the normal operating temp. I used to run at around 210 all the time. Since November or so, it has never gone above 150-160. Could it be just the winter air is keeping it that much cooler?
It seems like a good thing considering my previous overheating problems, but I know some on here say it is important for efficiency that these engines run hotter.
Old February 10th, 2010, 09:17
NAXJA Forum User

That's no good. And it can't be THAT cold in GA. I wonder if the holes in the thermostat are letting too much coolant by. Do you remember how big you made them?
Old February 10th, 2010, 09:46
NAXJA Forum User

Whats the status on your radiator. i changed the original one that came with my 1989 with a 3 row one from napa. It is night and day. My gauge just sits at 195. And it used to do what yours does.
Old February 10th, 2010, 09:55
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbeater View Post
That's no good. And it can't be THAT cold in GA. I wonder if the holes in the thermostat are letting too much coolant by. Do you remember how big you made them?
Yea, the weather really isnt that cold normally - high 20's this morning but its rare that it gets that cold.... When I put in the thermostat, I didn't even drill the weep holes in it and I have the original radiator. Ha, I guess I now have the complete opposite of my original problem when I started this thread.
Old February 10th, 2010, 09:56
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xjcrazy57 View Post
Whats the status on your radiator. i changed the original one that came with my 1989 with a 3 row one from napa. It is night and day. My gauge just sits at 195. And it used to do what yours does.
My rad is original. Your original rad used to run cold?
Old February 10th, 2010, 10:58
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Yea, the weather really isnt that cold normally - high 20's this morning but its rare that it gets that cold.... When I put in the thermostat, I didn't even drill the weep holes in it and I have the original radiator. Ha, I guess I now have the complete opposite of my original problem when I started this thread.
Did you put the right thermostat in? Needs to be 195*