NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old July 29th, 2021, 14:27
NAXJA Member

Re: XJ radiators, a review.

Interesting.
When intercooler shopping the plastic ends were considered less effective at cooling, so I thought the same applied to radiators.

Does a sub 200 dollar replacement exist for xjs? Or is all of the ebay stuff a sure fire leak waiting to happen?
Old July 29th, 2021, 21:09
NAXJA Forum User

What coolant temps are you seeing under what conditions?

Do you have a trans fluid cooler?
Old July 30th, 2021, 09:17
NAXJA Member

Mine is jusssst peaking into the 230s on these hot ass days of summer running ac and some light wheeling. I have a trans cooler and a PS cooler.
It's all stock stuff, a flush and new tstat and fluid might be all I need, but ya know where's the fun in that? Lol
Old July 30th, 2021, 13:05
NAXJA Forum User

I must admit that I'm always torn between trying to make things work with what's already in there or tossing in new stuff. I seem to end up tossing in new stuff. Anyhow, if you might want to try a manual efan switch. For wheeling, that works great for me. Coolant temp stays right at the tstat set point.
Old July 30th, 2021, 20:52
NAXJA Forum User

The Summit Racing radiator install is complete. Indeed, the only mod needed to make it fit was to cut down the screw posts used to retain the upper isolator pads. Otherwise, its a 100% OEM fit. I stuck with the modified drain fittings I showed a few posts earlier. They make it very easy to drain the radiator, and I'm confident that it won't cause any fatigue issues. Getting the trans cooler fittings to seal up took a bit of work. I had to snug the fittings several times before they sealed.

The somewhat disappointing news is that I've taken it around the block a few times as part of the air purge routine, and so far, there is no obvious cooling improvement over the prior radiator which I've found to be a budget CSF single row (3251). However, the real test will be tomorrow when I head out to the Oregon coast. In the current hot weather, coolant temps with the CSF single row would rise somewhat. Will be interesting to see if the Summit radiator does a better job.
Old July 31st, 2021, 10:49
NAXJA Forum User

Just got out for an around town errand that included both some highway and stop-n-go. Without a doubt, my new setup cools better on the highway (tstat sits 1-2 steps lower in temperature than before when monitoring OBD-II), but at the same time, it cools more poorly when sitting at a stop light (temperature will steadily rise until I turn on the efan whereas before that wouldn't happen) which is an interesting dichotomy.

But of course, I made this a complicated comparison because not only did I swap radiators, I swapped a standard GMB water pump for the Hesco water pump (which is a standard GMB with the Hesco impeller), and I installed the Hesco high flow water neck. BTW, the casting for the Hesco water neck is not so great. I had to port the flow path to the cabin heater core to get it back to near stock size, and there were some nasty casting lines where the radiator hose attaches that I also had to clean up.
Old August 2nd, 2021, 16:39
NAXJA Forum User

Crossing the coast range resulted in the same coolant temp rise as with the old setup. I guess this was nearly a complete waste of time from a practical perspective. Fascinating to contemplate why there was no improvement, but perhaps the simple answer is that the Summit radiator ain't so great.
Old August 3rd, 2021, 01:48
NAXJA Forum User

Ditch that copper/brass, go back to aluminum...

https://www.dewitts.com/blogs/news/1...rs-cool-better
Old August 3rd, 2021, 13:31
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Malcolm View Post
Ditch that copper/brass, go back to aluminum...

https://www.dewitts.com/blogs/news/1...rs-cool-better
Thats all great,but they-Malcom- dont make them for Jeeps
Member#17
NRA Life member, AARP NovaJeepers
96XJ,4.0,AW4,D30/D44,4:10s,Detroit,4.5" lift 33,s
Old August 3rd, 2021, 16:07
NAXJA Forum User

Merely a better description of the issue than the other sites that Google brought up; not sure why you assumed I was implying they did...
Old August 3rd, 2021, 19:40
NAXJA Forum User

After more time with the new setup, my opinion is somewhat revised. The new setup is definitely providing improved cooling in some circumstances. During driving today on predominantly flat roads in cool weather (about 65-70F), tstat temp consistently ran 1.5-3 deg F cooler than the old setup. Still hard to say whether its better than the old setup when subjecting the XJ to a climb at highway speeds. Still no offroad. Might get some fire road time tomorrow.

I reviewed this tread and was reminded that @Redsnake and @Weasel both installed the Summit 2-row copper-brass. Not much feedback on how well it worked though. Would be interesting to hear their feedback on long term performance.
Old August 3rd, 2021, 21:12
NAXJA Member

1.5-3 whole degrees cooler?? Thats pretty negligible with a lot of variables wouldn't ya say? Or did I misread something?
New pump and testator right?
Of course it got a flush too?

Just saying one or all of those could be responsible for such a small margin.. the actual radiator id think be the tests you provided- hot days with ac running under load uphill pulls 4low that sort of thing.

I'm kind of reserved to just freshen up the system but keep the radiator I have, since it isn't leaking. Maybe an upgraded water pump but a flush and tstat couldn't hurt
Old August 3rd, 2021, 21:59
NAXJA Forum User

I've got a Stant 180F tstat, and the tstat control temperature as read by the coolant temp sensor is 195.8F in the OBD-II data. Not sure why the control temp reported by OBD-II sits 15F above the tstat set point temp, but I saw the exact same temp difference between tstat set point and coolant temp sensor reading when I was running a 195F tstat. Kinda odd, but it seems common for XJs from what I can tell.

Anyhow, my XJ was running about 195.8-197.1F with the old setup on flat highway. Now its running 194.0-195.8F. Suggests that there is a bit more cooling capacity in the system, but overall, I agree that the improvement is minimal and could be due to factors other than the radiator. I'm contemplating trying an aluminum radiator such as the Cold Case 2-row.
Old August 4th, 2021, 06:16
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbraketorque View Post
I've got a Stant 180F tstat, .
You do know that a 195* thermostat is what's required for the motor???
Old August 4th, 2021, 07:17
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
You do know that a 195* thermostat is what's required for the motor???
Sure.