• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mean green 200amp alternator

etaniyani said:
Im thinking about putting the 200amp mean green alternator on my 2001 cherokee. have lots of lights, a couple amps for music, and oba system and need something more powerful to charge up the battery. have any of you tried out this unit? how well does it charge with what load? thanks. heres a link to the exact model.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/prodDetail.aspx?partNo=MGI641382&jeep-parts=true

Reports from the field have been consistently good - although MG is a bit spendy. Apparently, however, you do get what you pay for.

NB - you will need to upgrade your alternator output circuit to take full advantage of the thing (the OEM lead is a bit small, and the fuse/fusible link wire will pop the first time you go to full output. Upgrade the alternator output cable and the main engine ground as a minimum.) Click the link in my sig for more on that...

I really liked mine, worked good for about 4 years. It just failed on me about a month ago, too much water and too many submergings were what I thought. Until I pulled it, one of the two bolts was missing and it kinda ate the bearing. What was weird though was that there was not any noise coming from it this whole time. I think that I know about when the bolt disappeared since I remember one time the adjuster had to come out a bit more than normal and was like that ever since. Jon does have good cables too.

Mine's been going strong for about 4 years. On my 94, I had to grind both the brackets and a small amount of the block to fit it.

Hope this helps,
Kent

Just FYI... Mean Green's customer service blows! I tried getting them to answer a simple question for me before I purchased one of their products. I left 3 messages with the secretary, 3 voicemails, 2 emails, and called about a dozen other times... and never heard from a friggin' tech. Every message said that I just had a simple question I needed to answer before I placed an order... if that's how they treat you right before you place an order, they can keep their parts.
Billy

Hah! I knew I had a link somewhere!

You've still got a couple of options:

1) Nations Auto Electric. These guys seem to be into the High Output stuff. I haven't heard enough reports from the field on them to form a cogent opinion - anyone who decides to call them, I'd appreciate a field report for reference.

2) San Jose Generator. Yep - I'm pimping here! He's the guy I've used for years, does good work, and I talked him into doing mail-order a couple of years back. He won't do winds as high as Nations or Mean Green (yet...) but he does do damned good work and his prices are fair. If you call Rod (he does keep banker's hours...) you'll be talking to the guy doing the building and testing, or supervising the guy (since he's only got one employee.) You can get his information by clicking the link in my sig, scrolling down to "San Jose Generator," and clicking there. He may have changed prices - I do try to check with him at intervals, but he's been pretty stable so far. A few guys here have ordered from him, and seem to have been happy with the results (you can probably find out for yourself by searching either for <SJG> or <San Jose Generator>. Ignore posts from me - they're probably more pimping.)

Back