• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recovery strap question

MT Mike

NAXJA Forum User
I had to go to the junkyard this afternoon to get a replacement marker light after a close encounter with a mule deer. While I was there, I was poking around the few XJs to see if there was anything else worth pulling. I found a brand new (still in the original package) tow strap. The j/y let it go for $5. The only issue is that it has hooks on it. I already have a "real" recovery strap that does not have the hooks. My question is: Does any one see any reason I can't just cut the hooks off and keep it as a spare. The package showed it is rated for 10,000 lbs. Both ends have the heavy duty loops with heavy duty stitching. Any reason this shouldn't be done?

Let me know what you think....

Mike

Junk.

It doesn't stretch and is only 'good' for hooking up to something light and flat-towing it a short distance. That is NOT a 'recovery' strap.

Might as well keep it to lash stuff down with.

Junk.

It doesn't stretch and is only 'good' for hooking up to something light and flat-towing it a short distance. That is NOT a 'recovery' strap.

Might as well keep it to lash stuff down with.

Pretty much what I thought. I guess I'll keep it for a heavy duty tie down.
Thanks.

everytime i use a strap with hooks, they break.

I have towed with my $20 walmart "Recovery" strap over and over, this recovery strap has pulled my xj home over 120 miles once, and countless other recoverys and tows, absolutely worth it to own a decent recovery strap with Shackles and tow points!

Keep it and use it to pull stuff around. I've got one. They come in handy. The hooks are optional, take 'em of leave 'em, your choice.

Don't "snatch" with it. Doubly so if you leave the hooks on.

Keep it to tow with, not recover! Wouldn't you rather drag around a cheap strap than your expensive recovery strap for towing?

As long as you don't yank with it, keep the hooks on. The hooks will come in handy for towing.

keep it for pulling out small cars and such. most small cars dont have anywhere to hook a strap with no hooks unless you use a d-ring but that defeats the purpose. Just don't yank on it a jeep can break a 10k pound strap with ease

Back