• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intermittent no reverse

wireman121

NAXJA Forum User
Have a 1998 XJ with AW4. All forward gears work without any issue. When i shift into reverse after sitting for about 1+ hours, there is a VERY slight creep backwards. If i rev the engine, it acts like its in neutral. After revving for about 10 seconds, it will drop into reverse. After that, reverse will work fine as long as I continue to drive it. But if I park it for 1+ hours, the problem comes back.

Reverse is strong once its engaged, so I'm ruling out any worn clutches or bands and leaning towards a sticking solenoid or something in the valve body?

True, but if a solenoid/vale is stuck on, it may be causing this issue?

If one of the solenoids is sticking open, I would expect problems in the forward gears as well. The #1 solenoid is usually on in reverse, but reverse also works with the TCU disconnected when neither shift solenoid is powered. Problems in reverse but not forward gears is an odd one, because all the other clutches/brakes/bands are used for the forward gears. I would check the throttlebody->trans cable for proper adjustment as being loose or disconnected would make for sluggish or non-shifting, and also check the shifter linkage isn't off enough to cause problems.

Thanks. I’m happy I’m not sounding crazy here because I was thinking the same thing! Some additional things I’ve noticed/didn’t mention:
1) i believe the issue began after I changed all three solenoids, changes the filter and fluid (obviously) and repaired open wires cut from the 4wd linkage getting out of wack

2) I do notice a VERY slight delay into third but only sometimes - so that would make sense regarding the throttle cable being off, I’ll take a look at that.

I’m now thinking when I changed the solenoids I may have inadvertently gotten a valve slightly jammed up, but not sure yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had something similar happen when I'd park my 99 XJ for awhile - the torque converter would drain back into the pan, and when I'd start it and put it in reverse it wouldn't back up until I let it run for a little while - turns out that the cause was a clogged filter leading to low fluid flow.

Since the problem started after you swapped the filter and the solenoids and fixed the wiring I'm suspecting a low flow fluid flow issue somewhere - I'd backtrack and double check that the cork gaskets on the back of the filter didn't accidentally fall off while installing the filter, that the solenoids are clean and are seated properly, and that the wiring fix that you did is making a good connection. Also as someone above said - check the fluid level.

Back