• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smittybuilt XRC rear bumper/tire carrier questions

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I picked this unit up used local for real cheap but I didn't get the nut stripes for mounting it. I cannot find any info for just the mounting hardware on Smittybuilts website.

Will a regular XJ trailer hitch nut strip work?

And where do I find everything I need for mounting the HiLift and jerry can.

And lastly, will I need to beef up the rear springs, this thing is heavy! I'm currently running Rubicon Express 3.5" springs with HD Engineering shackle box relocators with a total lift around 5.5" and 35's.

I have a set of Old Man Emule HD springs I could bastard pack with the RE springs to add some back bone to the rear but I'm sure flex will suck. I wheel this thing, mostly rocks

I would think that the regular nut strip would work since it uses the same holes.

The jerry can just straps to the inside left side in the picture below. You can see the high lift mounts that came with it in the same picture. Some day I'm going to mount it different as it interferes with the rear hatch opening and sticks out to where someone is going to hit their face on it someday...

If you don't have a spare hanging off the back already I would think that you will have the rear sag a little with the bumper and a spare hanging off the back.

Picture: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=TjF0elMxMHpPQU5fWjRUQjdwb1NCLTIyeEsxUFNB

By the way I'm running RE 3.5" springs all the way around with stock shackles and sit level. I have the matching front bumper with a winch so I have weight on the front too.

Like others have said, tank straps in (buy the Midwest can, most standard size cans will not fit!). A regular nut strip will work as I remember the Smitty built uses the factory holes. I too am running RE front and rear 3.5" leafs/springs and I have no sag (even with an engine that weighs ~100lbs lighter than the 4.0). I do however have a steel bumper up front as well though to even things out.

I have this tire carrier, I didn't like how far the tire stuck out so I ended up cutting the tire mount off and pushing it closer to the hatch and welding it back up. I did lose the space for the Jerry can, and had to mount my hi lift differently, so if you want the hi lift mounts and the Jerry can strap you can have them as long as you cover the shipping.

XJ trailrider, I have the same setup and used factory nutstrips for mine. I still have the smittybilt nutsrips sitting in my toolbox. If you want them, PM me your address and I will send them to you USPS.

Thanks for the awesome responses!

I removed my aftermarket hitch to give to the owner of the bumper, he needed a hitch, I needed a bumper, it worked out. My hitch did not use the nutstrips, it had the T-bolts that drop in from the top of the frame.

Right now my 35" spare is in the back so that weight won't change, just the addition of the bumper and the tire being further back.

I PM a couple of you so please check your inbox.

I'll rephrase my response a little. IMO, you are overthinking the problem here. You have existing fasteners that worked in the same holes you are trying to use for your bumper. Just reuse the existing fasteners and go wheel.

Right now my 35" spare is in the back so that weight won't change, just the addition of the bumper and the tire being further back.
You'd be surprised how moving 100+ lbs that is mostly over your leafs to 36" or so behind them can change things. Exact same concept as using a cheater bar. May not be a big deal but it is something you should keep an eye on and you may need to move your shackle to compensate if your rear end drops below your front.

My Friend Andy @ Ironman4x4fab makes nut strips now. He however does not use the last nut on the outside of the unibody. So it is 4 instead of 5 IIRC.

My Friend Andy @ Ironman4x4fab makes nut strips now. He however does not use the last nut on the outside of the unibody. So it is 4 instead of 5 IIRC.

Thanks Glen, I have some coming I think so I should be good, if not, he will get my business!

How do you guys like the smittybilt bumper? Is it holding up? Do any of you have pictures of the bumper you'd like to share? I am concerned about the tire sticking out far, has this been a issue? Does it look good from the side?

How do you guys like the smittybilt bumper? Is it holding up? Do any of you have pictures of the bumper you'd like to share? I am concerned about the tire sticking out far, has this been a issue? Does it look good from the side?

Mine fit fine, even with dealing with the shackle relocation boxes. I also made the carrier work with a jerry can and mounted the HiLift verticle

Here is my thread; http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1131767

The only thing I didn't like was how far it stuck out. It got hung up easily and I though it looked kinda goofy. I ended up cutting the tire carrier off the swingout and trimming it a bit and then welding it back up. I lost the jerry can mount and had to mount the hi lift a little differently, but i'm now satisfied with the clearance and how it looks.

IMG_20160717_162700_zpsx8mbocds.jpg
IMG_20160620_123049_zpsiurxkldm.jpg

a>

Last edited:
I added some more pictures into this album of mine: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=TjF0elMxMHpPQU5fWjRUQjdwb1NCLTIyeEsxUFNB

Over all for the money I think it is an good combination. I have had no fitment issues. The tire does stick out but I don't ever expect to hang it on anything as I have never dropped off anything that would catch it. But you might. I'm starting to get some rust on it in the corners. For what I paid I'm real happy but I got a good deal due to a site listing the price wrong (and they honored it).

I have moved my hi-lift as you can sort of see in one picture. I like it there better for day to day access to the hatch. It hangs down too low but get's me in the parking garage at work. I did drag the high lift base in some dirt this past weekend because of where it is at.

Last edited:
The only thing I didn't like was how far it stuck out. It got hung up easily and I though it looked kinda goofy. I ended up cutting the tire carrier off the swingout and trimming it a bit and then welding it back up. I lost the jerry can mount and had to mount the hi lift a little differently, but i'm now satisfied with the clearance and how it looks.

can you make a thread about how you modified the bumper for the tire to sit closer

I'd love to know EXACTLY what Jerry cans will fit this bumper. I have heard some will, some won't fit... I have the front, and rear XRC bumpers. Absolutely love them.

picture.php

Last edited:
I installed the Smittybilt XRC rear bumper tire carrier on my 1999 XJ. A big disappointment to say the lest.

FYI, it's now made in China. It weights about 325 lbs with tire installed. The levered weight of the tire about 14" from bumper multiplies it some.

1. The mount brackets(frame to bumper) didn't fit properly. I tried for a week adjusting as specified in directions, trying bumper, removing bumper, re-adjusting, installing bumper, loop back again,...never did get a proper fit. Ended up forcing it on with a floor jack and big hammer.
2. Couldn't get the tire carrier adjustment to swing properly to latch and not scrape the bumper. There are three things to adjust, none worked as per instructions. I believe these adjustments have been "cost reduced" as the photos in the instructions show a much better setup with better hardware.
3. The tire carrier rattled, banged, scraped, etc when being driven on nice paved flat roads. I called Smittybilt, and the response was "the XRC bumper/tire carrier is for off-road use only, expect rattles,etc......." They were also no help with the swing adjustment.
4. I have a MBRP cat back exhaust. There is not much clearance for the tailpipe between rear leaf spring & frame. So, guess what, the tail pipe hit the bumper. Ended up cutting a 3x4' section out of bumper. I could have bent the tail pipe, But I don't have a torch, and even if I did I would either have to remove the tail pipe to bend, or risk torching very, very close to the gas tank.
5. I have an EMU total package 3" suspension upgrade I bought from Quadratec. Before buying I called Tech Support to see if my rear leafs would support the bumper/tire carrier/tire(31x10.5)/plus other stuff. They said "easily".
Well, it didn't. Ended up with a 3-4" drop front to back. Front is bone stock.

There were a few other less major problems, but in the end I removed the whole setup so I could drive my XJ again..
Not happy with either Smittybilt, or Quadratec.

I think some of the problems with the bumper mounts was due to them being designed for per 1997 Cherokees. Chrysler/Jeep changed the unibody in 1996 or 1997 to strengthen it. I think there may be minor dimension differences between pre/post 1997.

My XJ is driven more on the street than offload, so the Smittybilt XRC was a BAD choice for me.

Back