• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Easy way to waterproof sensors?

Jeff C.

NAXJA Forum User
Is there any easy way to waterproof sensors like the throttle position sensor? I burned mine out in deep water this weekend. You'd think Jeep would make them waterproof!

you'd think that they'd do that now woudn't you -- the "issue" with the TPS is that it ahas a rotating shaft that's supposed to be sealed -- and the damned driver will be turning that shaft (throttling) while the sear area is exposed to some rather agressive vapors (steam from mud/creeks, etc).

Some brands seem to perform better longer, but I havent seen much that can be done. -- one of the most interesting was to place a thin felt washer (like found in a piano's action) over the TPS's shaft where it entered the sensor's body that felt was coated with non-aerosol WD40...

It seemed to keep things happy enough, but there really isn't much room there for any thickness and since the TPS moves one-way on it's own spring any binding is a bad thing.

I've seen (and taken to thismyself) folks add a little bit of silicon dielectric grease to the outside of the seal -- thinking is that the Silicone will act to repel water and the first thing past the seal will be the grease which should help the seal seal better... I've not had the chance to "test" that in any controlled way at all...

I noticed that the Wells brand TPS I bought at the auto parts store has a rubber seal on the shaft that the stock one didn't. Hopefully that will help. My TPS had 176,000 miles on it, so I suppose replacing it was a good idea anyway.

Shut up about dead thread, I know what you're thinking!
I removed seal and used a little Vaseline (couldn't find dielectric grease) under the seal.

Who cares if it's a dead thread if it's useful and new info is being added!

I haven't had this happen yet, but I'm replacing my TPS and IAC tomorrow morning due to my intermittent startup issues.

Just wanted to note - be really careful about where you let that silicone oil get into, if it is added to the combustion process it can poison your catalytic converter by coating the ceramic matrix holding the catalysts.

Back