• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 - what sensors control the downshift into first?

92xjsp

NAXJA Forum User
When you're coasting along say at 30 MPH and then step on the brakes as you come to a stop sign, what sensors tell the AW4 it's time to shift into 1st?

I am not an expert on the AW-4, but in general, the following things dictate the 3-2-1 downshift when coasting to a stop on an electronically controlled trans:

1. governor pressure
2. throttle position sensor
3. speedometer reading

AZ Jeff said:
I am not an expert on the AW-4, but in general, the following things dictate the 3-2-1 downshift when coasting to a stop on an electronically controlled trans:

1. governor pressure
2. throttle position sensor
3. speedometer reading

AW4 doesn't have that gov. pressure junk, that's on the newer chrysler autos.

it calculates between the throttle position sensor and the transmission speed sensor (there IS an output speed sensor in the tranny itself)

the throttle valve cable may have something to do with it, but that's doubtful.

CheapXJ said:
...transmission speed sensor (there IS an output speed sensor in the tranny itself)...

Thanks for the info, everybody - does anybody know, can a fairly mechanical but non-tranny-expert person swap out the output speed sensor himself, or is this a tranny shop job? A friend has an AW-4 that won't downshift into first but the TPS tests out okay and other diagnostics seem to rule it out anyway. Just leafing quickly through the tranny section of my FSM I didn't see any mention of an output speed sensor or how to replace it.

92xjsp said:
Thanks for the info, everybody - does anybody know, can a fairly mechanical but non-tranny-expert person swap out the output speed sensor himself, or is this a tranny shop job? A friend has an AW-4 that won't downshift into first but the TPS tests out okay and other diagnostics seem to rule it out anyway. Just leafing quickly through the tranny section of my FSM I didn't see any mention of an output speed sensor or how to replace it.
old post, yes, but I'm having a similar prob...It used to downshift into first at about 25 when I put in 1-2 and am slowing down, now it doesn't, it seems to kick into OD...any words of wisdom?

Back