• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 XJ OEM fog light help

cmsurfer

NAXJA Forum User
Hey... I bought a set of OEM fog lights for my '99. The Jeep already has the wire connections for the the lights and I also have a switch on the dash. I installed the lights and they wont turn on.

I bought it used, so I can't tell if the lights were originally on the Jeep or not.

Anyone have any info on how these are wired? In the PDC under the hood, I have an AUX lights slot with a realy in it and I have an AUX light DRL only slot that is empty. Am I supposed to put a relay in there?

I know the relays that are already there are good.

Anyone?

Thanks,

First, check the fuse block: Fog light fuse installed? good?
Check the power leads where they connect to the lights: Power?
Check the lights themselves: use an ohm meter, or run a hot lead straight from the battery.

Anyone have a wiring diagram?

IIRC, my fuse block is not labeled, so if there is a fog light fuse, I don't know exactly where it is.

Search around in here. If your Jeep dint come with fogs from the factory you'll need to use an after market relay. Relays in the PDC were there for factory equipped, but the socket for the relays isn't even there if not ordered w/ fogs from the factory! You can ask DC for the original build record if you want to be certain. You can have a factory switch, it will light up, but you still aren't wired for fogs. Don't know why they did that to save $1.25 worth of materials.

There are several write ups on here, but I'm not the guy to find them for you!

factory foglamps with factory switch, wire is charred nearest the fog lamp,so I'm just trying to find the fuse,fusible link? for the headlamps/foglamps cause I have nothing right now

Fish'nCarz said:
Search around in here. If your Jeep dint come with fogs from the factory you'll need to use an after market relay. Relays in the PDC were there for factory equipped, but the socket for the relays isn't even there if not ordered w/ fogs from the factory! You can ask DC for the original build record if you want to be certain. You can have a factory switch, it will light up, but you still aren't wired for fogs. Don't know why they did that to save $1.25 worth of materials.

There are several write ups on here, but I'm not the guy to find them for you!

I do have a relay in the fog light slot in the PDC. The light (on the switch) does not come on when I hit the switch. The first person to reply here mentioned a fog light fuse. Where is it?

I can't believe that the pigtails for the lights and the switch would be there if it didn't come with fog lights.... If so where and what is this aftermarket relay?

cmsurfer said:
I do have a relay in the fog light slot in the PDC. The light (on the switch) does not come on when I hit the switch. The first person to reply here mentioned a fog light fuse. Where is it?

I can't believe that the pigtails for the lights and the switch would be there if it didn't come with fog lights.... If so where and what is this aftermarket relay?

Fuses #3 and #4, which operate your driver's side head light plugs; also control your foglights.....

Ivan said:
Fuses #3 and #4, which operate your driver's side head light plugs; also control your foglights.....

Thanks... I did some more searching and just found that out.

This may be a stupid question, but if the # 3 and/or 4 fuses were bad, the drivers headlight wouldn't work right? I'm know the low beam works, but I'll have to check the high beam.

And back to my original post, does anyone know about the empty fog DRL relay spot that is under the hood? I'm thinking I may need to put a relay in there... There already is one in the other fog light relay spot.

cmsurfer said:
does anyone know about the empty fog DRL relay spot that is under the hood? I'm thinking I may need to put a relay in there... There already is one in the other fog light relay spot.

If you don't have a DRL module on the pass fender near the blower motor you don't have DRL and won't need that relay. On my 2000 one of the ( 15A ? ) mini fuses in the PDC is for the factory fog lights and IIRC the lamp in the switch won't light if that fuse is blown. Put in some 15A in any open slots and see if you get anything.

The factory fogs only work on low beam headlights.

Thanks for all the replies...

I've been searching and searching and it looks like my Jeep did not come from the factory with fog lights, so whatever wiring is there is incomplete. I also have the Fog 2 relay empty and there are no sockets below it.

I ended up buying the wire harness from JeepsAreUs.

Hopefully it wont be too difficult to install...

CMSurfer,

Was wondering how long it would take for you to determine that most of the foglight harness was not installed from the factory.... It comes as a kit or can be purchased separately....
I installed the Factory Foglight KIT about 9 years ago in my 98 XJ....
There will be a pigtail taped off behind where you mount the foglight switch... that needs to be used.... The KIT comes with a foglight switch that illuminates, mount that allows for 2 or 3 switches, two pieces of harness that connects from pigtail behind the foglight switch to the high beam circuit used to disengage the foglights when high beams are on (I taped off this wire and didnot use it), a wire that connects to the parking light circuit (when foglight switch is energized it provides control voltage for relay), a 30A relay and 20A fuse that ties into the PCM power stud, and then a section of harness that goes down to the two foglights...
The instructions that come with the KIT may need more details for those that have not worked on their XJ very much, but I am sure you will figure it out.

Good Luck with the install....

Last edited:
CharlesS said:
CMSurfer,

Was wondering how long it would take for you to determine that most of the foglight harness was not installed from the factory.... It comes as a kit or can be purchased separately....
I installed the Factory Foglight KIT about 9 years ago in my 98 XJ....
There will be a pigtail taped off behind where you mount the foglight switch... that needs to be used.... The KIT comes with a foglight switch that illuminates, mount that allows for 2 or 3 switches, two pieces of harness that connects from pigtail behind the foglight switch to the high beam circuit used to disengage the foglights when high beams are on (I taped off this wire and didnot use it), a wire that connects to the parking light circuit (when foglight switch is energized it provides control voltage for relay), a 30A relay and 20A fuse that ties into the PCM power stud, and then a section of harness that goes down to the two foglights...
The instructions that come with the KIT may need more details for those that have not worked on their XJ very much, but I am sure you will figure it out.

Good Luck with the install....

Thanks for the reply... I have not done much electrical work on my Jeeps, but I'm more than willing to give it a try.

Is most of this stuff plug and play? Will I have to splice into any wires?

I should have the harness in a day or two and plan to do the install on Friday.
I'll be sure to post any questions...

Thanks,

Steve.

Steve,

Almost everything is P & P.... The only splices that will need to be made are where the wires tie into the parking lights and hi beams.... The instructions will identify the wire colors and connector pin terminal number....

Good luck....

Charles

cmsurfer said:
I also have the Fog 2 relay empty and there are no sockets below it.

There you go... when I did the JeepsRUs thing on my '01, I needed 2 relays in the PDC (Fog light relay 1 & 2). One of them is the cutoff controll for the high beams, the other is the official relay for the circuit, but they are wired in such a way that you will need them both for the lights to work.

Yes.... Thanks for the reminder....
There is a Hi Beam cutoff relay...., but I didnt connect the wire for it....
My '98 has been this way for almost 10 years and has worked fine....

Yea, I was reading that when installing the wiring kit, you don't use the second fog relay spot.

Either way I should have the wire kit by today and I'll be installing it Friday.

The only thing I used the JeepsRUS kit for (in the end) was the wiring that directly connects to the fog lights. I stripped most of the kit out and adaped it to my existing wiring (which was only missing the wires from the headlight wiring harness main connector; behind the D.S. headlight in the engine compartment; to the actual lights). If you already have all the wires, you should first try throwing a relay in both the Fog light spots in the PDC, and try it out. It sounds to me like all of the required wires are already in your jeep.

TheNerd said:
The only thing I used the JeepsRUS kit for (in the end) was the wiring that directly connects to the fog lights. I stripped most of the kit out and adaped it to my existing wiring (which was only missing the wires from the headlight wiring harness main connector; behind the D.S. headlight in the engine compartment; to the actual lights). If you already have all the wires, you should first try throwing a relay in both the Fog light spots in the PDC, and try it out. It sounds to me like all of the required wires are already in your jeep.

The second fog light relay slot in the PDC does not have any sockets below it.

Ok, I'm just starting the install, but I am stuck already...

I'm having trouble figuring out a way to run the yellow wire from the harness kit into the cab. It says to run the wire through the engine wire grommet if you can, but I can't seem to get my hand in there. The clutch mater cylinder is in the way. Either way, it looks very tight.

I was thinking about drilling a hole somewhere on the firewall, but can't seem to find and good spot where I can get a drill in there?

Anyone??

Back