• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ NO TURN SIGNALS

LJRockstar

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

Like the title says, I have a 96 XJ and the turn signals don't work... I did some testing and probing over the weekend and narrowed it down to the multifunction switch. I replaced the switch and they worked. I went to take the Jeep out tonight and now, no blinkers again. :dunno:

I performed the same tests as last time and they brought me to the same conclusion.

What are the chances I got a bad switch vs. some other problem that I'm overlooking that could cause the switch to fail so fast? With an ohm meter I'm only seeing continuity between the t/s relay pin and only 1 of 2 pins in both the left and right position.

With a jumper wire between the t/s relay slot in the connector and all four of the other slots that go to the front L and R and the rear L and R I get blinking as I should. By process of elimination that tells me the new switch has gone bad again.

I don't have any kind of fancy bulbs in any of the housings, just stock incandescents.

All of the other functions of the switch are working properly. Wipers, washer, hi/low beams and hazard/4 way flashers.

UPDATE: I was back tinkering with this today. I returned the switch and got a replacement. still no change... So I started poking around with my test light. When I probed the output wire from the T/S relay (Purple with a red tracer I believe) It began blinking as I expected. What I didn't expect was that with the T/S switch turned to one side or the other, the system worked as it should, but ONLY if I have the test light in the circuit. I'm now thoroughly confused haha.

Everything did work for about 1 day. So obviously there is a loose connection somewhere in the system. When I bought the Jeep there was an aftermarket harness of some sort (I'm assuming it was an alarm or auto-start, but there was no box connected just a rats nest of wires and a plug.) I re-traced my steps and checked all the places that it was (poorly) spliced in. no broken wires.

If I could find a decent wiring diagram I'd probably have this figured out by now but I don't have $ for a FSM and the diagrams in the Haynes manuals are practically useless.

Any of you seen a similar situation? Or have a good diagram for a 96 XJ?:helpme:

I had a similar problem with my 96,Thought it was the blinker relay,swapped relay and it worked for a day ,then nothing.....2nd relay same as first/
Purchased a new multi-function switch,just in case,,,
Went to shop where they had more time to check it out..... found broken wire in the junction box at the firewall.
New connector fixed it.
It was suggested by the mechanic that I find a new harness...I did..

Thanks Wayne. I'll look into that this afternoon when I get home from work. I did stumble across what might be a good breakout diagram on AutoZone's web page. It's actually for a 97 but it looks to be the same setup that I'm working with. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link to it here, but if someone can confirm that it's ok I'll throw the link up. I found it through a google image search. The page looks like a pretty good cashe of info for people.

Re: 96 XJ NO TURN SIGNALS !!!SOLVED!!!

Problem solved! Turns out, even though all the fuses in the panel were good I had no power going to the flasher relay in the Key on position. I had power in to the full time hot pin which is why the hazards worked. I Opened up the harness under the dash and traced the yellow/red wire back towards the fuse block. Low and behold there was anothe damn scotchlock tap crammed on the wire for some old PO BS. The wire had broken because of it. Turn signals are good now and I can drive it again without worrying about the revenue generators busting my stones.

DEATH TO SCOTCHLOCK CONNECTORS!!!!

Last edited:
Back