• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where is the connector for my outside temp sensor...

N8N_99xj

NAXJA Forum User
if I even have one? I am really not sure where it is supposed to go or where the connector is, a good pic would be greatly appreciated. Or is it possible I don't have one at all, because my '99 did not even come with fog lights? (I'm going to be adding that wiring soon I hope.) I have a Cipa/Donnelley mirror with compass and temp and wanted to make it the temp function work but am not sure where to run wiring (which a-pillar) and if there was a possiblity I could splice into some factory wiring or if I am going all new.

I have all three factory skids, do I have to pull the front one? (can't see squat, I have the splash shield still there as well.) Or would the wiring be run in the loom behind the grille? (if it is, then I probably don't have it, because I don't remember seeing a connector when I did my headlight harness.)

thanks!

Normally it is right in front of the radiator.

Dammit. Then i probably dont have it. Is the wiring in the body harness? I assume if it is in front of the rad that it goes through the multi pin conn behind ds headlight? Anyone got ordering info for the terminals?

Located on the front cross member, below the radiator. All 1997-2001 are pre-wired for OHC.

standard.jpg

Last edited:
Izzat from underneath? So I do have to drop the skid then? (my mitts are too big to get past the skid and the steering linkage) or can I reach through from above if I just pull the grille?

appears to be looking from the front, underneath toward the rear. Connector is visible in front of the crossmember, between the bumper and crossmember.
(directly below the AC condenser)

Picture from another angle .... Front & centre of the crossmember.

I can send the dog over to help ya find it if you like ... :D

EngB03b.jpg

Is that from underneath? So I do have to drop the skid then? (my mitts are too big to get past the skid and the steering linkage) or can I reach through from above if I just pull the grille?

Please do try and use the best grammar and punctuation as possible when posting on NAXJA. In order for us to help you we need to be able to understand you. I had to learn this as well when I first joined and was ridiculed when I was typing like I was texting a friend.

The connector is directly behind the bumper. You might be able to get to it if you take the grill off and can grab it with your fingers or maybe a pair of needle nose pliers if your fingers are too big. If you can't get to it then yes you may have to pull the skid plate off or the front bumper.

If necessary, you can remove the grille insert from the grille surround and usually get to the plug.

Last edited:
If you can't get an XJ donor for the sensor, IIRC the ZJ and possibly Grand Caravans with the OHC both have the same sensor too.

97+ it's right there already wired, 96- it's under the front end of the PDC bracketry and you need like a 4 foot extension cable that goes from that connector to the sensor. Or just cut the sensor pigtail off the donor XJ/ZJ/grand caravan and extend the wires to the terminals under the PDC, they are black with a light blue stripe and either green with a violet stripe or violet with a green stripe, I forget which. Doesn't matter which is which at the sensor end, it's just a thermistor.

From Direct Experience:

From the donor Vehicle, get the Sensor Connector as well as the Sensor as the connector on your Heep is, most likely, corroded beyond usability.

Also, the Ambient Air Temperature Sensor from ANY similar model year Chryco vehicle will work. I used the connector/sensor from a Grand Caravan as my connector (near the centre portion of the front sill) was corroded. All the same parts. In the case of your '99, any '97 to '01 part should do nicely. Later years may work but someone with access to a later parts list would need to look it up.

Chryco, like all manufacturers do, share as many parts across product lines as is possible.

IMO, at this point in time, replacing the connectors that have been open to the elements only makes sense. Did the same when I refitted the Cruise Control into the Heep. The connector for the Servo was found to be corroded beyond usefulness as well.

Back