• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np-242 transfer case fill plug.

skinner

NAXJA Forum User
OK got this morning to do a oil change and t-case fluid change. went to open the fill plug on the t-case and it is frozen solid. soaked it in pb blaster and tapped on it with a hammer and it will not break loose. Its a 3/8 allen plug that is pretty chewed up so I don't want to make it worse.

here is a pic
100_1822.jpg

after further trying it is now rounded out all together. I have already ordered a new plug but what will be the safest way to remove that damn thing. I may try a extractor first and if that fails drill it out and big as I can tap it and thread another bolt in. unless anyone else has a better idea.

Try cutting notches into it on opposing sides of the hole and then using something as a large screwdriver. Doubtful it'll work...

You could also weld a piece of aluminum stock to the thing and try turning that but that might damage the rest of the case. Luckily it's about a hundred bucks for a whole 242 at the junkyard if you can find one, and a 231 drops in pretty easily if you can't.

when's the last time you changed the ATF? When you do get it open, spread on the anti seize!

sorry for the bad tip... hate to ask whats wrong with anti seize on the t case........

I got the F'er off took a propane torch and #5 screw extractor to do it but by god its out. LOL.

RCP Phx why is anti-seize a bad idea?

I'm thinking that it's not so good for the transfer case internals once it gets into the fluid, since it contains microscopic metal or graphite particles.

I'm thinking that it's not so good for the transfer case internals once it gets into the fluid, since it contains microscopic metal or graphite particles.

We have a winner!

Back