• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-Case Fill Plug??!!!HELP

HenryKrinkle

NAXJA Forum User
I was changing gear fluids yesterday and like an IDIOT, I drained the transfer case without loosening the fill plug. Now the damn fill plug won't budge. I soaked in PB blaster all night, tapped it firmly with a ball peen, and nearly stripped it with a crescent wrench. I know the crescent wrench is no good for this stuff, but it's the only thing I had that fit. I think I need to go buy a socket big enough.

Is the fill plug the same size as the drain plug? (to go buy socket)

Should I heat it with a torch/soldering iron? (to break any loctite)

Anyone have any tips? (Need this fixed ASAP!)

Im pretty sure the size is 1 3/16.

Got the 30mm at ACE, still won't budge... Heat? The case appears to be alum, so heating the steel plug may just get it stuck harder. I'm hunting for a piece of pipe to use as a breaker bar...damn

Got the 30mm at ACE, still won't budge... Heat? The case appears to be alum, so heating the steel plug may just get it stuck harder. I'm hunting for a piece of pipe to use as a breaker bar...damn

Hallo. Try to warm up only the alum case around the bolt.
Keep the bolt so cold as possible. :yap:

p.s.Old school idea::Flatten the socket with a grinder, when the fillplug is became round. The socket will go deeper (edge is sharper) on the bolt and you have more grip.

'92 XJ

Last edited:
giving the ratchet/breaker handle a few whacks in the direction of looseness with that ball peen should help break it loose. you risk ruining your ratchet if you whack it too hard it so i recommend the breaker instead.

Crisis averted! Used an old hollow barbell as a breaking bar. Leverage is key!

wim hoppenbrouwers: The first thing I thought of when I bought the socket was to grind it down and eliminate that chamfer, unfortunately my grinder is 3 hours away right now. Thanks for the tip though.

Anyways, thanks to all for the help and putting up with the new guy...I look forward to the day I can pony up for a membership....

Back