• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

All Things Guns

XJosh95

NAXJA Forum User
I know there are a couple other threads out there for guns, but just simple things like hunting or what someone is looking for.

Here I'd like to talk about a little bit of review stuff, handloading, what you've got (if they haven't been lost in a tragic boating accident already), what you're thinking about getting, maybe a little gunsmithing, etc. Handguns, rifles, 1911s, mil-surp, plinking, hunting...whatever you wanna talk about.

I've been looking at reloading lately, and it's a topic that his piqued my interest. I like the idea of the Lee Pro 1000 and I'm considering casting boolits as well.

What's up?

Right now my 10/22 is in pieces, but not for long. Going to a friends house with a 10/22 to show me exactly how to clean it. Then I got some KIDD pins for the receiver to replace the stock pins. It is going to be my rifle for rimfire madness locally. I do have a couple shotguns (two 410's and a 12) and thought about trying deer hunting at some point in the next couple years. Looking at getting an XD9 next year for a carry.

My next purchase is probably gonna be a REM 870 with the wood furniture. 12 gauge ammo is about all I can find over here and I'd like to shoot some clay. Unless we get the ol lady a hand gun first something small that she can get her hand around(mines to big ;) ) the Sig is a little big for her hands .

Have had a few different guns in the past but never really got into it until recently. Been looking at a Ruger LCP for a conceal carry as it is small, shoots nice, and doesn't weight a metric shit ton. Also looking into purchasing a Highpoint Carbine in either a 9mm or .45 flavor for something fun to shoot.

Right now my 10/22 is in pieces, but not for long. Going to a friends house with a 10/22 to show me exactly how to clean it. Then I got some KIDD pins for the receiver to replace the stock pins. It is going to be my rifle for rimfire madness locally. I do have a couple shotguns (two 410's and a 12) and thought about trying deer hunting at some point in the next couple years. Looking at getting an XD9 next year for a carry.

There are a couple of vids on Youtube that are excellent for taking down and cleaning the 10/22. Its how I learned to take down mine.

My next purchase is probably gonna be a REM 870 with the wood furniture. 12 gauge ammo is about all I can find over here and I'd like to shoot some clay. Unless we get the ol lady a hand gun first something small that she can get her hand around(mines to big ;) ) the Sig is a little big for her hands .

I have an Express with a 28 inch barrel. I like the gun.. but I don't like the gun. I wish I had spent the few extra bucks and gotten a different version.

My 870 has never failed me. It even survived a tipped canoe and had to be used as the paddle, now it wears a synthetic stock and is duracoated.
I like long range shooting and hunting. Its kinda hard to do here in WI but I have made a half dozen trips out to Wyoming for antelope and mule deer. I have done 99.9% of my hunting for the last 8 years with handguns. Im having a big rifle built and cant wait to see how it works on paper out to a mile :)

Have had a few different guns in the past but never really got into it until recently. Been looking at a Ruger LCP for a conceal carry as it is small, shoots nice, and doesn't weight a metric shit ton. Also looking into purchasing a Highpoint Carbine in either a 9mm or .45 flavor for something fun to shoot.

FWIW, I really like my LCP. The biggest complaint I have is the long trigger pull. It's got a lot of take-up and the pull is considerable too. Having said that, it is a pocket pistol that a lot of people will often carry in a pocket without a holster. I can't say I recommend this, but I have been guilty. At least that long pull will keep it somewhat safe in a pocket. Don't flame me...

Mine is outfitted with the LaserLyte laser on the side. My biggest complaint about that is parallax. I have it sighted in for around 20' and at 30' the laser is off considerably. I'm sure at any range I would "have" to use it, it wouldn't matter that much. Center mass is pretty big compared to that little dot.

My 870 has never failed me. It even survived a tipped canoe and had to be used as the paddle, now it wears a synthetic stock and is duracoated.
I like long range shooting and hunting. Its kinda hard to do here in WI but I have made a half dozen trips out to Wyoming for antelope and mule deer. I have done 99.9% of my hunting for the last 8 years with handguns. Im having a big rifle built and cant wait to see how it works on paper out to a mile :)
I would love to go hunt out west. My next hunting rifle will be a .300WM. I don't need that here in WI, even for bear. But if I ever get the chance to go out west, it will be good for anything in North America.

FWIW, I really like my LCP. The biggest complaint I have is the long trigger pull. It's got a lot of take-up and the pull is considerable too. Having said that, it is a pocket pistol that a lot of people will often carry in a pocket without a holster. I can't say I recommend this, but I have been guilty. At least that long pull will keep it somewhat safe in a pocket. Don't flame me...

Mine is outfitted with the LaserLyte laser on the side. My biggest complaint about that is parallax. I have it sighted in for around 20' and at 30' the laser is off considerably. I'm sure at any range I would "have" to use it, it wouldn't matter that much. Center mass is pretty big compared to that little dot.

I have a buddy with one and I like it a lot actually, like you said it is a nice pocket pistol. When I do purchase it I plan to use an inside pocket holster for it that way it is not just sitting in my pocket. It does have a factory optioned laser available for it that I may purchase with it as well but unsure of that at this time. Thanks for the info though!

The factory laser is a Crimson Trace, IIRC. I'm sure you're aware that it's mounted under the frame which contends with the parallax issue I have. When I purchased my LCP a year or so ago, the laser was a $50 option (YMMV) compared to the $70 I spent on the LaserLyte on Amazon. I just didn't like the looks of the factory laser.

Remora makes a really nice in-the-pocket holster for the LCP.

http://www.remoraholsterstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Series-2R

I have heard really good things about Remora but haven't tried one myself. I did see an Uncle Mike's holster at a local shop for about half the cost that seems like it would hold in the pocket fairly well.

Before you pull the trigger on an LCp look at an lc9...... Mine was awesome before it fell in the lake

And if you prefer the .380 auto cartridge, Ruger also now makes a LC380. Compared to the LC9: same size frame, capacity, trigger, etc. Only difference is the caliber. Personally, given the two to choose from, I think I'd go for the larger round, but some people may have dainty hands.

I just ordered o-rings for the 1100 today. Kinda hard to eject shells with no o-rings! Oh, and i have ammo on the way for the .45. The rws ammo i ordered last time was ok but it's dirty and 3 rounds failed to go off. Let's hope the fiocchi stuff works better.

The factory laser is a Crimson Trace, IIRC. I'm sure you're aware that it's mounted under the frame which contends with the parallax issue I have. When I purchased my LCP a year or so ago, the laser was a $50 option (YMMV) compared to the $70 I spent on the LaserLyte on Amazon. I just didn't like the looks of the factory laser.

Remora makes a really nice in-the-pocket holster for the LCP.

http://www.remoraholsterstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Series-2R

I have heard really good things about Remora but haven't tried one myself. I did see an Uncle Mike's holster at a local shop for about half the cost that seems like it would hold in the pocket fairly well.
I had a remora holster for the lc9 and now one for the xds. No clips to fiddle with. And i can carry IWB or in my pocket.

Got the 10/22 all back together yesterday after cleaning it. Took it to the range to make sure it works fine before my match I am doing on Saturday.

15 rounds of 9
20130407_141623_zps072e1c66.jpg

Six rounds of .357
20130407_143853_zps92c123cf.jpg

18 rounds of .357 (with some 22 magnum in it)
20130407_144358_zps04f81fcc.jpg

50 rounds of 22, ready as I will ever be.
20130407_144638_zps124ab353.jpg

Before you pull the trigger on an LCp look at an lc9...... Mine was awesome before it fell in the lake

I'll have to check it out. Is it comparable in size to the LCP? I'm sure it is slightly larger at the very least. One of the things I like a lot about the LCP is that it is small enough I can carry in pocket and is not noticeable to most.

Got the 10/22 all back together yesterday after cleaning it. Took it to the range to make sure it works fine before my match I am doing on Saturday.

What range are you going to? I've been looking for a range close but not having much luck besides outside of Brazil if I remember correctly.

What range are you going to? I've been looking for a range close but not having much luck besides outside of Brazil if I remember correctly.

You have Proteq in Brazil.

http://www.proteqrange.net/

It is only $20 a year.

Lost Creek is not far from Brazil or where I live, but it is just a wide open field and that is all. It is $70 a year.
http://lostcreekcc.org/

I personally go to Riley Conservation Club. It is $70 a year, but they have a rifle range, six bays that have a nice high berms surrounding them.

http://www.rileycc.com/

If you want to check it out, let me know and I will meet you down there some weekday morning or weekend if I am home and let you shoot there.

Last edited:
I'll have to check it out. Is it comparable in size to the LCP? I'm sure it is slightly larger at the very least. One of the things I like a lot about the LCP is that it is small enough I can carry in pocket and is not noticeable to most.
rugers_zps36a0834a.jpg

i hate the ruger lcp....what good is having a gun on you if it's too small to handle.

its lack of safety bothers me too

short"8 mile trigger doesn't help either"xjdoug

Back