• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driver Door Sticker Vs. Build Sheet

Deilure

NAXJA Forum User
In my 99 4.0 I6 XJ, the sticker on the inside of my driver's door lists tires as P215/75R15, yet upon requesting my build sheet from Jeep, the tire size is listed as P225/75R15. For my speedo's sake, which is the true tire size? I'm leaning towards the build sheet, as I heard the stickers sometimes lie.

Been driving on 215's for a good while. It's the size she came with when I bought her from the dealership, and always thought the police speed signs were off by 4 or 5 miles when they read 25 and my speedo says 30. But if this XJ rolled off the line with 225's and 215s were swapped later on, would it be me and my smaller-than-stock tires at fault, and not the police signs/gps apps that I think are slightly inaccurate?

Nothing is perfect, so speedo most likely off from factory anyways. Either size could come from factory. Did you buy it used or new? If used, someone could have thrown on 215's cuz they were cheaper. I would personally get some 235's if you plan to keep it stock.

Get LT 235/75/R15 The 215's are just too small for such a heavy vehicle. You will be much happier once they are on there pluss the looks alot better also. Even if you get a P235's and not LT's you'll still notice a good difference.

225 wouild have been more common on a 99. On just about all the XJ's I've owned, the speedometer read high with the stock tires, and effectively dead-on with 235's. Most vehicles are designed with a slightly optimistic speedo, which helps to keep you out of trouble, so 4 or 5 mph error is pretty normal. If you do upsize the tires, be really careful about your speed. A GPS will give you accurate real speed, so if you don't have one, see if you can borrow one.

A stock XJ can handle 235's fine with no issues, and it does help a tiny bit with overall height, especially if you have sagging springs. Don't expect to see any real mileage boost, but remember too that your odo reading will also drop a little bit and may hide a slight gain.

Thanks for all the replies. I was in a hurry to get tires, and had to choose before getting around to reading the comments. I heard 235's would even out the speedo, but then others have said 235's will cause the speedo to deviate even further. Ended up putting my faith in the build sheet to play it safe, and got 225's. But at least my new tires are Destination AT's, right? Next time I'll prolly shoot for 235's.

Still curious as to exactly why my door sticker would read 215, though... Could it just be that those are the baseline, bare minimum tires allowed on the vehicle? But it's even weirder that my VIN number is also on this sticker. Hope that doesn't mean 215's are what actually came with the XJ.

Last edited:
Back