NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old February 13th, 2009, 18:35
NAXJA Forum User

to lift or not to lift that is the question

Before you start flaming me for not searching, I have read stuff until my eyes bleed and my head hurts.

Anyway, here is my current dilema. I have an '01 with the upcountry package, skids + 1" lift. Bought some 245/75/16 mt/r's on moab wheels. Put said wheels on, they rub a little off road on the fender flares. So I start thinking about maybe doing a 2" shackle lift with spacers up front. I don't want to go any more than that. This is more of a DD than anything else with some mild trail riding. Even though I really like the looks and ride of these tires/wheels, I would rather go back to a smaller tire different set of wheels than have to add an endless stream of upgrades. So here is the part that I would like some clarification on.

I start reading stuff about needing as SYE due to vibration on the late models even with a mild 3" lift. Yes, no, maybe, I've seen all 3 answers.

New LCA or brackets? Have seen all of these suggested as well.

And of course there are more products out there than I can decipher.

Anyway, I guess I'm really looking for feedback from those of you with the later models and a similar 3" lift setup and what issues you have had or not had. All help is appreciated.
Old February 13th, 2009, 18:37
www.urfracing.com

Re: to lift or not to lift that is the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsled1 View Post
Anyway, here is my current dilema. I have an '01 with the upcountry package, skids + 1" lift. Bought some 245/75/16 mt/r's on moab wheels. Put said wheels on, they rub a little off road on the fender flares.
Add one inch of bump stop in the front and/or trim your fender flares a little.
Old February 13th, 2009, 18:41
NAXJA Forum User

i'm running almost the same specs. up country package with teraflex spacer/shackle and 245/75/16's. i've gone all over the place with this set up; now i haven't done any hardcore rockcrawling-as it's not my thing, but i have never once failed to get where i was going. i really need to get my rockrails on to feel totally comfortable in rocks. this has worked out well enough that lift plans have taken a back seat to other stuff for now. re-gearing, getting my d44 in, lockers, rails on, etc. have taken priority over increased height. mine is a dd as well.
Old February 13th, 2009, 18:43
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes View Post
Add one inch of bump stop in the front and/or trim your fender flares a little.

yep. mine hardly rub at all. with a little trimming/bumpstopping i could fit 265's with no problem. which i may do here shortly.
also, with about-three-inches of lift on a '96, i don't have any vibes at all. my only real bitch is the lack of travel in the stock trackbar at this height, but i'll deal with that eventually.

Last edited by Hellbent; February 13th, 2009 at 18:47.
Old February 13th, 2009, 19:47
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbent View Post
yep. mine hardly rub at all. with a little trimming/bumpstopping i could fit 265's with no problem. which i may do here shortly.
also, with about-three-inches of lift on a '96, i don't have any vibes at all. my only real bitch is the lack of travel in the stock trackbar at this height, but i'll deal with that eventually.
Yeah,but you have a -96 model which has more room in the flares than a 97+.