• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift question (Similar to Dakota lift)

zfinger

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I read the whole writeup and thread about the Dakota lift, and I read the writeup on the s-10 lift.

Now for my situation...
I have the Daystar BB with 1 3/4" spacers in the front. I would like to put in the ZJ springs this weekend for another 1" of lift. So then I'll have 2 3/4 in the front roughly.

For the rear... I have 1" shackels, and probubly saggy leafs because to me it looks like the front is higher. I want a project for this weekend and I want to get dirty, so how can I use the Dakota leafs or the S-10 leafs to level out my XJ after I put in the ZJ springs?

Is it possible to use just add one of the Dakotas top leafs to my XJ pack and get 1 1/2"? I dont want to use the whole thing, anything over 3" is too big for my DD and too much money to get into (The XJ is destracting my time and money from my 240sx, otherwise I would). No blocks because they look retarded, and I will be getting some shims as well (Does 4degrees sound about right?)

Thanks in advance

Figured I should add that this is a big project weekend for the XJ. New ZJ springs, the rear leafs I hope, oil change, tranny and TC fluid, cooland flush, thermostat, u-joints and whatever else I can afford to do before it gets to cold in my unheated garage. Wish me luck

Last edited:
I got a few questions for ya...First off, do you know what grand the springs came out of, or have you measured them versus stock springs to see if they are longer? if they didnt come out of a 360 v8 grand then you will most likely be dissappointed with your results, and even so, there are so many variations in spring rate and what engine package, etc, that you may not end up with 1" of actual lift.

Also, for the rear, do you know if your springs have a shorter, thicker helper spring that goes at the bottom of the pack? if so, you could probably get rid of that and maybe one other dakota leaf and get about the lift you want. maybe someone else can help ya out more, but if not, just play around with it a little. but i would say adding just one dakota leaf in place of a cherokee leaf wont lift it enough for ya because you probably need closer to 2-3" boost from where you are sagging to right now. hope this helps some..and good luck..hope you have some un-holey mechanix gloves!

I havent picked up any of the parts yet, but I know the junkyard has them. And yeah, I didnt specify but the springs will be out of a V8 ZJ.

And my dad works for MSC Tools, so I have whole box of mechanics gloves in the garage!

Alright well you're covered then! (or your hands are at least...) can i have some gloves? mine are so holey... anyway. yeah make sure they are from a 360 v8 not the 318. i think the 360s are more common anyway. at my yard they always pull the axles from grands for some reason and that means the coil springs are usually gone or laying around and you never know if they are mix and match or not :exclamati oh well. have fun man

So the concencus is... Add two from the Dakota pack and the rest from the XJ and see how it looks? Then trial and error from there...

I'll search real quick but I'm asking anways (cuz I'm at work and I only have a sec). What size/length bolt will I need for the center pin? We have bolts at work and I'll grab some before I leave

hey how'd it go? sorry i didnt get back to ya about the bolts,,, if you're still wondering, length doesnt matter cuz you just cut them anyway, and you want something with real fine threads and a round head. i think it is a 3/8" bolt but i dont remember exactly. i know the ones i got for mine were a little small, 5/16 maybe. anyway if you feel like it let us know how it turned out!

Back